I was going to post pictures and a couple videos. Then I realized the diaper bag is locked in the trunk, in the cold garage and I had second thoughts. I promise more to come soon!
A couple days ago I finally set up our family budget for Spring quarter. I knew it was going to be tight for at least the next couple months during the 90-day trial period, but I didn't realize how tight until it was all out in writing! Even after I get a $3000 raise in May, if all goes well, that still won't lift us out of the need to be frugal until Michael gets a job. Most graphic designers just don't have the kind of salary you can easily support a family on! So I sat down with Michael to go over what we'll have to work with, and without missing a beat or getting down at all he just started coming up with ideas. Together, we are challenging ourselves to see how much we can cut back our current food budget, while still maintaining some variety, nutrition, and balance. We both are creative and strategic, and are approaching this with a very positive attitude. I'll share what I'm learning or trying, and welcome you to share any of your wisdom and insights too. Most families go through a frugal period at some point or another, especially when one parent stays at home. The things we practice and learn now will likely benefit us for years to come.
I feel we're already pretty good at being frugal, and I'm curious to see how much farther we can push it. Some of the things we are already doing now include: being careful and savvy shoppers (watching for good sales, fruits and veggies in season, buying in bulk and freezing when there is an advantage, using coupons wisely, planning meals around what we have and what is on sale). We rarely buy prepared foods or convenience foods, make a lot from scratch.
For breakfast, Liam and I will be eating eggs more regularly since they are cheap and nutritious protein sources. All of us will be eating a lot more oatmeal, but finding different ways to prepare it so it won't get too boring as quickly. Occasionally we'll buy some yogurt and turn some of those oats into homemade granola. We'll still mix in foods like sausage & English muffin sandwiches, waffles, and homemade muffins less frequently. For my lunches, I already have some tasty looking recipes I want to trying using cheap staples like dried beans, lentils, split peas, and tofu (have vegetarian pad thai recipe that I'm excited about making tomorrow). I made French onion soup recently that was not only cheap, but also got lots of attention from co-workers who wanted to know where I got it and if I'd bring in soup for everyone next time! Michael is eating more pasta, ramen, peanut butter and jelly, and other homemade soups (he loves broccoli and cream of cauliflower soup). Liam is going to get sweet potato more regularly, which he loves. He already likes a lot of cheap nutritious foods, so his menu won't change (I'm so glad I wasn't into buying the much more expensive, bland food marketed toward toddlers!). Our biggest changes will be using budget recipes on daily basis, generally ones using smaller amounts of meat combined with rice, bread, potatoes, or some variety of noodles.
As I look at all this, I realized a lot of what we are doing is generally what is recommended as part of healthy lifestyle anyway. It supports my belief eating frugally on a tight budget doesn't have to be bad, too boring, or unhealthy. I'm actually enjoying this challenge!
Welcome to Our Blog!
This blog is designed to be an entertaining and easy way for our friends and family to see pictures and videos, plus keep up-to-date with all our parenting adventures. Don't worry if it's been awhile since we posted, just means we're going through a busy time and have our priorities in order!
Wednesday, March 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment