
The 20 week doctor's appointment went generally really well, and Michael and I were happy his parents got to come along and see their unborn grandchild in action. We ended up not finding out the gender again. The ultrasound itself was really neat. The baby was very active, had a heartbeat in the 130's, and was in the 52 %ile for size. This time the ultrasound called for a 1/3 due date, which is Michael's brother's birthday (my official due date is considered 1/1 by the doctor's office, and is based of my cycle). So there will be a lot of suspense and anticipation... boy or girl? 2010 or 2011? Another holiday baby?
Mom was also doing well. My blood pressure was 116/66 this time, and my weight is up only 8 pounds so far. I was measuring right at 20 weeks. After all the fun stuff, the doctor did tell me there are a couple concerns they are going to have to keep an eye on. First, the placenta is located a little low this time. It is not blocking the cervix, but it is pretty close. We are expecting it is going to move and be out of the way before delivery, but if not I will probably be on for a c-section to avoid risks of delivery complications like severe bleeding. The one good thing is the placenta is posterior, so it is out of the way if we have to go this route. I'm still definitely hoping and praying for another natural birth.
The other thing was something I had never heard of before, and the unknown is always a little more disturbing at first. In the scan of the head, they noticed what is called a choroid plexus cyst (CPC). My doctor explained to to me, and after I went home I found some other research that reassured me even more. CPC can be seen in about 1/100 ultrasounds, and there is over a 99% chance this baby will be completely normal. Some studies suggest these may be "soft markers" for chromosomal abnormalities, but other researchers have found no link at all—especially when the CPC are isolated as they were in this case (looking back we noticed the ultrasound tech was scanning various organs and body parts more thoroughly than we remembered with Liam and this likely explains why). At least 90% of the time these disappear on their own by the third trimester, and these also can be found in healthy children and adults. They occur in the part of the brain that makes cerebral spinal fluid, nothing that involves thinking or personality so they are harmless. My doctor urged me not to worry, and wanted me to call if I was or had other questions. These are something that are relatively new discoveries since ultrasound technology has improved.
Michael and I had declined the Quad screen, but I personally felt them to be something that would potentially cause more worry than anything since they aren't 100% accurate predictors (and sometimes problems can still exist undiscovered). Now I feel this is almost like getting one that gives you the results something might be possible. The next step from here is they will likely have me do a Level 2 ultrasound in the third trimester, just to make sure the CPC go away like they should and make sure there are no concerns about the placenta. I told Michael if we end up wanting to know the gender around week 30, it looks like we'll have another unexpected chance (though knowing us, we'll still probably hold off... we love the surprise and excitement of it all, and I think Michael really likes being the first one to see and tell me).
There were 12 pictures, but I'm just going to post a few of the best for now! Very excited to meet him or her, and am trusting God in all this. No matter what, this child will be loved!

I'll definitely post more about Liam soon, he's just growing and amazing us more and more every day. Definitely becoming a sweet little boy!






1 comment:
I loved the foot picture too!
Post a Comment