Last week I also discovered I tested positive for Group Beta Strep. It's a bacteria that naturally lives in the digestive system of up to 40% of the population. It comes and goes and generally is not a threat except if a newborn gets infected. It can be very dangerous and sometimes even deadly if that happens, but it is pretty rare and generally preventable. I will likely receive antibiotics during labor, after I have done a lot of research on both sides to see what might be best. It seems like a no-brainer at first, but I found that sometimes the antibiotics increase the risk of other problems like thrush, other infections, allergies, or asthma). They do lower your baby's risk of being infected quite a bit, but sometimes when they are infected it can be a more resistant strain. However, with antibiotics the chance of your baby getting infected goes drops quite a bit and most people have no long-term effect. It's really one of those situations both sides have pros and cons, and you just pray and hope for the best.
I was a little nervous about the GBS and having to get intravenous antibiotics after last week's appointment. Armed with more questions today, I was a lot more reassured. First, generally the CDC recommends a woman get antibiotics 4 hours before delivery. I wasn't even in the hospital 4 hours before I delivered Liam, so I wasn't even sure this will be possible. My doctor said if I do end up having a faster labor again he's not worried, and they'll be happy if I just get one dose 40 minutes before delivery (I think we can handle that... we don't plan to wait that long anyway!). They are mostly only concerned if my water breaks, which in that case I need to call right away and will likely end up getting Pitocin unless labor progresses well on it's own. They also would be concerned about a stalled or prolonged labor. The other good thing is I won't have to be hooked up to an IV or something the whole time. I would get the standard heplock (was lucky to avoid this with Liam, but most women get this in a hospital), and they would give me antibiotics then I'd be unhooked and free again. That shouldn't be too bad.
I'm praying things will go quickly, the water will break at the last possible minute again, and that there will be no issues related to the GBS or antibiotics. I have been making sure to consume extra probiotics now, and will after, hoping that may help as well.
Other than that, we're getting really excited! We were thankful to make it through Christmas, and did travel 100 miles away to be with family (some people thought I was crazy for doing that, but I am adventurous and just trusted my gut... then packed the hospital bag and had a back up plan just in case!). Liam had such a good time and I know Christmas for everyone just wouldn't have been the same if he couldn't be there (especially for my family since he's the only little one). My sister is coming to town soon, and we look forward to seeing her and hope she gets to meet this new baby. I'm really wondering if this will be a December 2010 baby or not (we'll fine out over the next 3 days!). Michael is hoping maybe the baby will come on New Year's Eve... he's already off work with a long weekend, plus an extra tax credit could be really nice in 2011 especially since we plan to look for a new house. But, if the baby needs until January to be ready, so be it! My doctor was actually glad I am patient, he said I wouldn't believe how many moms want to be induced before year's end.
Here are my pictures from week 38 I realized I forgot to post (thanks to getting ready for Christmas!!):

Pictures from today!

These are also probably the last pictures of just the three of us taken the day after Christmas (though the 4th is impossible to ignore!!!). I might post other Christmas pictures and video later depending on how things go these next few days.



No comments:
Post a Comment