Before I start on those adventures, I realized I never told one from the Friday before last when he turned three months. For the first time in almost a month, I took Liam back to International Friendships. We picked up a couple Chinese girls from the dorms, who later told us he was the first American baby they have ever seen in person. Michael was leading the group that night, and Liam was awake until the very end. He spent part of the time looking up at the PowerPoint projected up onto the wall, part of the time kicking his legs on the floor and babbling as he heard his Daddy talking, and the rest of the time wanting to sit up on my lap and look around (and feeding once). No one seemed to mind him, and I feel like I did a pretty good job keeping him happy and not too loud.
This past Saturday, we did a day trip so Liam could meet more of his extended family on Michael's side at their annual reunion. Lots of good food, and lots of people eager to see this little boy in person for the first time. Most of them had only recently received their baby announcements. No one could be more excited, than 7-year-old Rachel. She was a big helper at my baby shower, and everyone told me she was constantly talking about meeting the baby and said, "They're here!!!" when we arrived. She spent most of the time thoroughly obsessed with him and following us around, asking lots of questions and telling me all about a baby boy named Landon her babysitter also watches. This young girl was not familiar with breastfeeding, so was trying to peak and asking lots of questions like, "How/what does the baby eat?" "Do you do that at home (referring to me having the Cover-In-Style on)?" "So the milk comes out of a hole in you?""If a baby is inside me now, it would be really small right?" (I didn't even touch that one, just said, "Babies do start off really small."!!) I was trying to answer in a simple way a child could understand, but not tell her so much she'd be embarrassing her parents later! I let her hold Liam, but was watching her closely. Sometimes she also wanted to keep holding the burp cloth right in his face. The good part is, there were plenty of extra hands around to help me out or to catch him in the event of a mishap, and finally my sister-in-law Kelly took him, and gave us all a little relief from being on constant guard!
Liam with Aunt Marsha looking at his cousin Addison (who is usually blurred in all pictures!) Rachel was the blur on the left.
Later that day at his great-grandparents house, Liam showed how he now likes to suck his thumb sometimes and fall asleep with Thomas going around him!


I was glad to see he got all his normal naps in, even though we were in a different place!
Later in the evening (Addison loves looking at the baby!). Check out all his muscles!



With Great-grandpa Richard

We put Liam in his pajamas, I let him tank up, and we left a little after 9pm. Day trips are actually quite nice, as we enjoyed having so much less to pack. It is unbelievable how much stuff you need to pack for one baby staying over night somewhere. Our car has been known as "the sleep machine" for Liam, but for the first time ever he was awake for the first hour as we got into Dayton! At first, he was happy as could be and was trying to look around. But, after awhile I think the lights on the interstate were bothering him. He started to do those pterodactyl screams in the car, but thankfully I was able to get him to take a new pacifier and I calmed him down without pulling over. I put the canopy on his car seat down so the lights wouldn't bother him, and to shut out the sights so he could sleep, and we turned on the classical music. He finally drifted off and stayed quiet. I was happy it wasn't even too hard to get him to sleep again when we got home, even though I had to change his diaper and put him in the sleep bag.
On Sunday morning we went to the Sunday School class, but Liam did not sleep through it like he normally does. Most of the time he was just cute and playing fairly quietly. But then hunger set in! I lingered in the back of the room and walked around, until he was decided he didn't want to wait any longer, then I went up to the balcony area in the chapel where we have been sitting while they are remodeling the main sanctuary to nurse. He finished up before everyone else arrived, then I watched families with kids who usually sit up there as well slowly coming in. A few stopped to talk to me and say hi to him (since so far many people at church haven't seen Liam awake!). He was alert most of the service, and I held him while we sang. A little over halfway through the service, he wanted to eat again! So I did something that is probably considered scandalous somewhere, and nursed him during during communion! I know God wouldn't kick a nursing woman with a hungry baby (who was being modest) out of His house, and thankfully no one else seemed to care either ;-)! This worked out much better, and I was actually able to take communion when they passed it around instead of having to miss out. After he nursed, he went to sleep and I put him down in the car seat where he slept the rest of the time. Everyone was happy.
As for random fun things, I got Liam to laugh out loud by blowing on his belly. It was so cute, I hope he starts doing this more often! Also, Liam has recently begun following the train as it goes around him. Here are some videos of this!
We put Liam in his pajamas, I let him tank up, and we left a little after 9pm. Day trips are actually quite nice, as we enjoyed having so much less to pack. It is unbelievable how much stuff you need to pack for one baby staying over night somewhere. Our car has been known as "the sleep machine" for Liam, but for the first time ever he was awake for the first hour as we got into Dayton! At first, he was happy as could be and was trying to look around. But, after awhile I think the lights on the interstate were bothering him. He started to do those pterodactyl screams in the car, but thankfully I was able to get him to take a new pacifier and I calmed him down without pulling over. I put the canopy on his car seat down so the lights wouldn't bother him, and to shut out the sights so he could sleep, and we turned on the classical music. He finally drifted off and stayed quiet. I was happy it wasn't even too hard to get him to sleep again when we got home, even though I had to change his diaper and put him in the sleep bag.
On Sunday morning we went to the Sunday School class, but Liam did not sleep through it like he normally does. Most of the time he was just cute and playing fairly quietly. But then hunger set in! I lingered in the back of the room and walked around, until he was decided he didn't want to wait any longer, then I went up to the balcony area in the chapel where we have been sitting while they are remodeling the main sanctuary to nurse. He finished up before everyone else arrived, then I watched families with kids who usually sit up there as well slowly coming in. A few stopped to talk to me and say hi to him (since so far many people at church haven't seen Liam awake!). He was alert most of the service, and I held him while we sang. A little over halfway through the service, he wanted to eat again! So I did something that is probably considered scandalous somewhere, and nursed him during during communion! I know God wouldn't kick a nursing woman with a hungry baby (who was being modest) out of His house, and thankfully no one else seemed to care either ;-)! This worked out much better, and I was actually able to take communion when they passed it around instead of having to miss out. After he nursed, he went to sleep and I put him down in the car seat where he slept the rest of the time. Everyone was happy.
As for random fun things, I got Liam to laugh out loud by blowing on his belly. It was so cute, I hope he starts doing this more often! Also, Liam has recently begun following the train as it goes around him. Here are some videos of this!
We have been having a February "heatwave" with some temperatures in the upper 50's-low 60's which have helped to even out all the bitter cold. I took Liam out for a stroller ride in a nearby neighborhood on Monday night and yesterday took him to a big forest area to walk around in the arboretum area. It will be much prettier in the Spring, but it was still fun with all the winding trails.
Here is Liam ready to go to the park



1 comment:
Thumb sucker :)
Post a Comment