Trying to go shopping and run errands with Liam is like entering a brand new frontier for both him and me these days. Just turning a corner, I never know whether I will find more fun and wonder, or if I will face challenges and obstacles. Liam used to sleep when put in the carrier, but his brave new world is way too interesting now. He watches everything, he also sleeps less in the car. Tuesday he went to Trader Joes first, then the mall briefly so I could finally return a Christmas gift. He spent the whole time looking at everything. Then on to the grocery store next. Something told him to feed him before I went in, but I thought I'd just be able to hurry and get shopping done since he does often go longer between feedings these days. Bad idea! I was only half through my list when it was clear he was no going to wait, and the last thing I wanted was a serious meltdown at check out. But what to do with my cart, where to go? I thought about going to one of those deserted aisles in the back of the store (since this store also has general merchandise departments) and trying to nurse him discreetly, but the Bjorn (which I need to replace with something better for other reasons too) just doesn't allow it and I wasn't confident in my ability to do it yet.
I couldn't think of anything else at the time, so I did something I am generally against. I took him to the public bathroom. Normally public bathrooms don't bother me so much, but it's the last place I want to feed a baby and hang out for awhile! Thankfully it was clean and not busy, but I still just stood in the large handicap stall and didn't sit or touch things. Thinking back now, I forgot the store had fitting rooms so next time I'll plan to do that instead.
We didn't do a long feeding, and by the end of the trip Liam let me know he wasn't okay with that. He started fussing in the check out line. The lady behind me at least was nice and trying to help distract him. We got out of there as soon as possible, and he was happy just being out of his coat and sitting in the car seat. It was warm.
I had to go to another store on Wednesday to get our favorite Viennese coffee. It is located close to the dealership where we bought our car and get free car washes for life (or as long as we live near by and they are open I guess ;-). Plus the car really needed it, it was so gray with all the winter grim. I thought Liam would be out in the car, but the whole way I heard him making little baby noises and blowing little raspberries! He was awake when we went through the car wash, and wide awake when we got to the store. I didn't want a repeat scenario from the day before, so I decided to chance it with the BOB stroller this time. I planned out a strategy in my head and was determined to make things work with just a basket. There was no way I could push a cart and stroller by myself!
Carrying a basket and pushing the stroller wasn't as easy as I thought, and would have been impossible with a regular stroller. But the BOB is so lightweight, it was easy to manage and push with one hand. Before I knew it, I figured out a way to hold the basket. The greeter said hi to Liam, and said, "Look at you riding in your Cadillac!" He was right though. Even if I never planned to jog with the stroller, I'd still prefer the BOB over normal strollers no question!
So I next played a form of grocery store Jenga, and attempted to arrange items in my basket to maximize space and keep it balanced. I put a pineapple and cantaloupe securely on the mostly folded canopy of the stroller so I'd have space for the milk I needed to buy at the very end. I prayed they wouldn't think I was trying to shoplift! Liam was a lot happier in the stroller, and was just looking all around again. I got in my extra strength training for that day when I grabbed the last two gallons of milk. They had a great deal going, and thankfully the dairy section was next to the check out (since every gallon of milk weighs 8 pounds).
I got creative after I had purchased everything and had to surrender my basket. At first I was nervous how I was going to get everything to my car, but I put the gallons of milk in the basket on the bottom of the stroller, and put two heavier bags on top secured by the canopy. I was able to just carry the rest and push it. I was happy it worked, even though I'm sure I looked crazy! But Liam was happy, and this mom will go a long way and risk looking a little loony for a happy baby :-)
Liam started to fuss as we hit a little rush hour traffic on the way home, but singing to him whatever I could think of and turning up the music a little worked. He took a 20 minute nap. It wasn't easy, but I was glad everything was finally done.
This week I have been thrilled as Liam has begun going bed early and giving me free time in the evening a few nights in a row. What a relief, as I have been under a lot of pressure lately. His new favorite bedtime seems to be around 9pm. The first time he did this, I stayed up way too late because I was just thrilled to have a break and time to myself. As a result, He woke me up when I was sleeping only 3 hours, and I never slept well that whole night. I have since been making a point to go 1-2 hours after he does for now, I don't need to be up until midnight anyway!
Today has been great so far. I got 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep last night when Liam did one of those nice 7.5 hour stretches, and felt much better. I heard the thunderstorms come through, but was thankful they didn't bother Liam at all. This morning for the first time in a week, at 17 weeks old, Liam showed interest in rolling again. He did it three times so fast I didn't have time to get it on video. That is why it extra funny he waited until I encouraged him this time:
Liam also took a 45-60 minute nap in his crib! Regularly putting him down for his morning nap about 1.5-2 hours after he gets up and shows the first signs of being tired is really working. Turning the humidifier back on (I think his favorite white noise) seemed to help him sleep longer.
Welcome to Our Blog!
This blog is designed to be an entertaining and easy way for our friends and family to see pictures and videos, plus keep up-to-date with all our parenting adventures. Don't worry if it's been awhile since we posted, just means we're going through a busy time and have our priorities in order!
Friday, February 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment