Welcome to Our Blog!

This blog is designed to be an entertaining and easy way for our friends and family to see pictures and videos, plus keep up-to-date with all our parenting adventures. Don't worry if it's been awhile since we posted, just means we're going through a busy time and have our priorities in order!

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Lessons From a 7-Month-Old

Back when Liam was 7 weeks old, I had people tell me it will be easier to take him places when he's a few months older. These people weren't parents obviously!! I definitely think newborns/young babies are much easier to take places. Now he's a bigger, louder, more active, alert baby, I generally only shop during his naps when he can stay home with Daddy. I have maintained going to International Friendships on almost every Friday night so far (if nothing else just having dinner ready and someone to help entertain Liam for awhile so I get a break is the extra incentive I need).

It used to be, in a pinch if we were our and about, he would nap or go to sleep anywhere with just a little nursing or rocking in his car seat. Now, when there are people to meet and places to see this little guy is too much of a socialite to sleep. Even when I take him to a dark room, or for a walk in the Moby, he never winds down. Liam usually will only fall asleep in the car on the way home (when it is dark and boring at last), but that is it. Then he's off for the next day or two, and sometimes pretty fussy the first part of Saturday. And it isn't just Friday nights. It was also impossible to get him to go to sleep back last Sunday when we had him baptized and the house was full of friends and family (hoping to get pictures from that soon).

I have been working on getting him on a more consistent schedule not for my sake but more for his need for sleep. Now I'm finding myself in the great debate anytime I find myself considering something I know is going to throw things off: is this worth going to, or would it serve Liam better for me to make a sacrifice and not go?

For right now, I am just making a point to be aware of Liam's needs. When we do choose to do something that we know is going to leave him short on sleep, we are now anticipating it in advance and encouraging more sleep the following day. For example, after being out late last night today I encouraged Liam sleep in this morning with extra nursing and put him down for a nap early. I also got myself to bed early as well so I would get enough rest. I think this is making a difference and helping us both to find more balance and sleep so far.

While he is still a snuggle baby, he now is less interested in being held and more interested in moving. Diaper changes are a wrestling match most days! He's done some actual crawls, but still has yet to learn the real coordination it takes to really crawl. He does work on scooting as fast as he can, and he loves exploring. He will make his way to the patio if we leave the door open, or head for any new room. I'm so frustrated the baby gates I registered for haven't been available at Babies R Us for long time now, so I'm about to come up with something else. Our saving grace in this house, is every single room has a separate door. As long as we make sure he cannot go down any stairs, we can easily restrain him. I learned you don't need to worry about those lists on how to babyproof your house. Liam is teaching us what needs to be done. We just do what we think is needed, then keep an eye on him. I had to move the seemingly fine trash can in his room and remove plastic wrapping under our dining room chairs I didn't even realize was there!

I also love how much he laughs now! When our cats battle with each other, he thinks it is absolutely hilarious. He also loves to chase them, but hasn't figured out how to quietly sneak up on them yet. Despite that, he still reaches one every now and then... and tries to grab the tail or pet their fur. They are his favorite source of entertainment (aside from Mommy and Daddy of course)!

Other than that, I have been making a point to get more rest myself lately. We have begun doing family rest time during Liam's first nap of the morning, where sometimes we all take a 1.5 hour nap. This has really helped after the rough nights, and since I have been making a point to get more sleep I have felt much better. A book that I highly recommend to any parents, that helped encourage me to consider making sleep more of a priority is Sleepless in America by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka. http://www.amazon.com/Sleepless-America-Child-Misbehaving-Missing/dp/B000MGAI0E/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top I heard this book was recommended, and didn't really know what to expect. It has been my favorite book on the topic of sleep so far. Very positive and practical, helps suggest realistic expectations about sleep and how lack of sleep can drastically effect behavior of children of all ages. She has a lot of interesting strategies on how families can make sleep a priority as a whole, whether you have infants or teens. She points out a lot of obvious but so often innocently missed things that rob kids and families of sleep, how different inborn temperaments effect kids' sleeping habits, a cool checklist of ways to recognize sleep deprivation in your kids and yourself, and how to manage and release tension in both your kids and yourself. She doesn't encourage one suggestion for everyone, nor does she tell you how to live your life...she just helps you recognize decisions that might effect your family's sleep and helps suggest ways you can find strategies to get over it. I would like to buy this book, I liked it that much. Check your library. It's an easy read!

Sure I have blogged less, but it's hard work keeping up with a busy 7 month old. Lots of regular house cleaning and sweeping to do as well, but I have to admit I love a clean house even though I don't like the work. With a new reason to keep up with it before it's even messy, it has been staying nice much easier. And it keeps me less tense as an extra bonus. I also have enjoyed getting off the computer more... getting more rest, reading real books for a change (even if it still is with a mission and usually baby related, it's a start for me!).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa, Try Walmart for the baby gates, I ordered ours online and had it shipped to our local store for free. They had a huge selection and many were the same as what Babies R Us carries. Ours is called the Dream Baby swing close security gate. We have it in a high traffic area and have had no problems with it. That's saying a lot with a 2 and 4 year old who can figure out how to break just about anything. Hope this helps!

Kelly

RNR_Runnergirl said...

Thanks Kelly! I think the one we registered for was also a Dream Baby gate. Glad to also hear it was already tested by the older cousins and has held up.