Welcome to Our Blog!

This blog is designed to be an entertaining and easy way for our friends and family to see pictures and videos, plus keep up-to-date with all our parenting adventures. Don't worry if it's been awhile since we posted, just means we're going through a busy time and have our priorities in order!

Sunday, August 9, 2009

First Haircut

Today it finally hit me one of the reasons Liam seems to rub his eyes throughout the day, even when he is not tired, is simply because his hair is constantly in his face! This, along with dreadfully hot weather that has been absent most of the summer (that makes hair in your face even more miserable), inspired me to finally give the boy his first haircut. It is very tricky cutting a baby's hair, but I think I did a decent job. I only did one big faux pas, as I was trying to save a lock of his hair, you will see in the video! I had to retouch the trim to straighten it out after the first cut, but now it looks great.

Before
Liam's First Haircut!


This morning we really enjoyed a sermon that was from Psalm 127 (link), about how children are a gift from God and a blessing. This passage was also read at our wedding, but I learned so much more about it today. That Psalm first focuses on how God invites his people to trust him, as he works behind the scenes to build a home and a church while he takes care of his people's needs if they let him. This is the part that used to hit me in the past before becoming a parent, as I was definitely the type that sometimes got so focused on my own work I didn't trust God to help me out and would lose sleep toiling on school projects only to discover it did me no good. I mostly learned when he got to the second part. When the passage says "sons" it is actually referring to children in general, not only male children. I particularly liked how the sermon elaborated the metaphor of children being like arrows. Arrows are used in battles to hit targets where the warrior cannot go, or that are far away. Parents guide their children toward targets that maybe they didn't hit themselves (like my parents encouraged me to go to college right after high school instead of waiting like they did, for example). God also can send children to reach new places and new families, or to continue building his church and his kingdom after we raise them up and send them out. I wonder where Liam is going to go Michael and I never went, or what kinds of interesting things God is going to do in his life?

After this, Michael started referring to my Hotsling as a quiver and took these cute pictures! I thought it was very clever!

Oh, and the only other big news is Liam's first tooth on the top (on his right, my left) just broke through the gums today. It is only a white speck now, and the whole area looks very swollen. I gave him Motrin again tonight to help us all sleep better. We definitely look forward to this painful stage of the teething process to pass.

No comments: