Welcome to Our Blog!

This blog is designed to be an entertaining and easy way for our friends and family to see pictures and videos, plus keep up-to-date with all our parenting adventures. Don't worry if it's been awhile since we posted, just means we're going through a busy time and have our priorities in order!

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Madeline Noelle's Birth Story

Waiting and Wondering

From the time we discovered we were expecting a new member of the family on January 1, we had excitedly wondered if we'd have another holiday baby and which month and year would mark the blessed event. I told everyone I was certain the baby would come on one of the 12 Days of Christmas (Dec 25–Jan 5), so when I hit 39 weeks on Christmas day I began watching closely for labor signs. We still drove up for family gatherings (up to 100 miles away) when everything was quiet, and had a great time. Then we both got anxious again on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, and I even swore I saw some early labor signs. But the "official" due date came and went and I was still pregnant and heading in for the 40 week appointment. That same Monday, January 3, was the due date our second and third trimester ultrasounds predicted and was also Michael's brother's birthday. I was still only around 2 cm, the cervix wasn't completely effaced, and the baby wasn't even fully engaged yet! I admit I never expected the second baby would come later than the first, but I was actually really patient and thankful because I knew what I was in for and finally got a chance to accomplish everything I needed and wanted to get done before the baby arrived. I didn't have this chance with Liam, and it was so nice to feel like my nest was in order and I was ready.


The Second Time Around

After sleeping around 3 hours, I woke up around 2:45am on January 5th to my first contractions. This was actually the third and final estimated due date based off the estimated ovulation date on my actual cycle, and had been used as the official due date for Liam. I knew right away what these were, this was definitely it, and it was only a matter of time. I was expecting a fast labor, but since with Liam the first contraction was a couple days before the actual birth, I wasn't completely sure what to expect. Contractions were mild and consistent, but fairly unorganized. At one point they got to be about 10 minutes apart. Around 4am I woke up Michael and said something like, "Good news! Contractions are starting. But just try to get some rest for now." I also contacted my doula as well to give her a heads up since I didn't know how fast things would go. I waited until 6am to call both sets of parents, since we needed someone to come down to take care of Liam and I wanted to catch them before they went to work. Michael's parents were available and began their 2 hour commute. In the meantime I continued to lay in bed. I noticed the contractions started stalling out a bit, and I ended up dozing off again for at least an hour or so. Liam woke up earlier than normal at 7:30, I think he sensed something exciting was going on.

I called my doctor around 9am, a little before the office opened and told them what was going on. I also asked, since I had been Group Beta Strep positive this time, when they want me to go to the hospital (since they usually treat mom with some antibiotics during labor). They told me they were both at the hospital this morning for a couple scheduled c-sections, but later I could come to the office at 1:15 and they would check what was going on. I went ahead and set the appointment and said I would call if things really got going.

Michael's parents arrived and then our doula, Donna, came over to our house. I noticed when I walked around, the contractions started up. When I sat down, they generally ceased. Since everything was in order, I made a point to keep walking around. I also made a point this time to only eat foods that were nutritious and very easy to digest (I got sick when I hit active labor with Liam and was hoping to avoid going through that again if possible!). I made a delicious large fruit smoothie that contained some organic whole milk yogurt, and later snacked on peanut butter graham crackers and some left-over avocado with shredded cheese Liam didn't eat for his lunch. I stopped eating when I wasn't feeling very hungry, but still tried to drink a little water. I also passed some time trying to remove ink stains from Michael's khaki pants after I noticed a pen in his pocket started leaking. Michael got some lunch, and we packed fully anticipated going straight to the hospital after my appointment. When we left the house, Donna went on to go wait for us in the hospital lobby. On the drive I had a strong contraction that did make me question if we should just head on over too! But, since everything was close and contractions still weren't regular I went on to visit the doctor first.

When I got there they still did the weight and blood pressure check. I noticed my blood pressure was a little high, and they asked if I was having contractions. Was also surprised to notice my weight had dropped a couple pounds. They checked and I was 4-5 cm with a bulging bag of waters. The bag of waters was making it harder for them to know exactly how much I was dilated. They said the baby's head wasn't engaged, and the doctor said it was my call either way on whether to go on to the hospital or wait. We decided to head to the hospital (I was 5 cm when I was checked in with Liam before!!) and I'd just walk around there. This time I actually walked into the hospital myself, though it hurt. We sat in the lobby for awhile, and Donna and I strolled around a bit. Contractions were definitely stronger, and I debated going up. She then asked the million dollar question of what state I wanted to be when I went up there, and I decided I wanted to be still able to talk through contractions and answer questions. I also felt my temperature rising like it had before.

I was also glad we didn't wait because it took forever for the elevator to get up to the 9th floor. Of course it went down first, then stopped many times on the way back up. We said it was clear that is why some babies ended up being delivered in elevators!

Since the doctor had already checked me, they took me straight to a labor and delivery room after I checked in at 2:38pm (found this on my discharge paper!). We had a beautiful view of downtown, and the shades were open letting in all the beautiful late day sun (like Liam she was born on a very nice sunny day, but he was born at night). After getting on my hospital gown and settling on the bed, I was really shocked how quickly labor really got going!! Everyone else, except for my Michael and Donna, probably was too. The nurse was asking this long series of questions she's required to go through, and I couldn't figure out why they didn't do these when we pre-registration! By the time they got through those and started my antibiotics, I was already in transition and 8cm dilated. I really thought the IV would be a huge pain, but it was in my left hand and I honestly barely noticed it. In transition, something like that is more like a mosquito. They urgently called my doctor, but ended up urgently calling a resident.

This time I was very much in control and not scared. I knew I could get through this, I knew it wouldn't last forever. I could withdraw inwardly, closing my eyes, and breathing through the pain. Michael and Donna were great, in providing a hand to squeeze, lip balm, or ice chips (very much needed as my mouth and lips got dry). The nurse had turned on this video with relaxing music that had all this passage ways, but toward the end it was just distracting and I wanted it off. Everyone was watching the contractions and the baby's vitals on the monitor and the peaks of each contractions reminded me of one of those hill work outs on a tread mill. When a contraction came I pictured being on a treadmill and pushing to get past those hills!

It seemed like in only minutes I could feel myself dilating the rest of the way and the urge to push came! One of the involuntary pushes broke my water. I cannot remember if this was before or after the resident arrived. They noticed a little meconium in the fluid, so everyone was watching for fetal distress. Then they told me the baby's heart rate was dropping, so I needed to focus on pushing. The doctor and nurses were coaching me this time, and though I didn't mentally feel fully ready I remembered what to do and focused.

I could feel the baby crowning, I heard Michael mention all the hair. The doctor was pulling when I was pushing because of the fetal distress. Michael said it is amazing at how rough it looks like they are being. In just a few pushes, I felt the baby being born!! It was 4:06pm, but to me it felt like I had been there much longer! Afterward was a pause because the umbilical cord was covering up the genital area, but finally I heard "It's a girl!!" Were were delighted to be blessed with both a son and a daughter who we named Madeline Noelle!

They couldn't put her on my chest right away, as they had to check her out first in the other part of the room, but she was just fine and thankfully didn't swallow or inhale any meconium. They think her rapid decent might have caused he brief distress, but all was well. I was surprised she was pretty tiny at only 6 pounds 12.8 oz, but she was 21 inches tall! She was a great nurser from the beginning and was very alert to my amazement for her first 3 hours of life. I also didn't have to worry about the antibiotics effecting her, and the labor was so quick the chance of a GBS infection was very minimal too. My doctor came in after the birth and mostly just congratulated us. He checked over everything, and just said he's always thankful for these really smooth and easy deliveries that make up for all the really complicated ones!

When I looked back at how it turned out, she came right on time and everything was perfect (aside from the sad fact she arrived when Aunt Amy was on her plane to go back to Colorado :-( ). But labor and delivery couldn't have been better, and baby girl has been very nice to Mommy so far. We are blessed!

The only picture of me in labor (obviously not during a contraction), in the hospital lobby before going upstairs.
Newborn Madeline Noelle gets weighed!
Donna, our doula

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's sweet Lisa.
-Jackie

Mama Goose said...

Aw, what a skinny, sweet string bean. Congratulations. Interesting how different, and how similar, the first and second labors can be.