Welcome to Our Blog!

This blog is designed to be an entertaining and easy way for our friends and family to see pictures and videos, plus keep up-to-date with all our parenting adventures. Don't worry if it's been awhile since we posted, just means we're going through a busy time and have our priorities in order!

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Testing...1, 2, 3

So far, so good. He's worn three of his Bumgenius diapers and he is still rash free! Now that he's taking a nap and will be in this current diaper awhile, that will be a good test to see if it leaks or not. Each diaper comes with two liners, and I have yet to discover how many Liam needs or if these will keep him dry overnight.

The first detergent I tried was Nellie's All Natural Laundry Soda. I selected it because I can find it locally, and because it was one of the most budget friendly on the recommended list. As I have talked to other moms, I am pretty sure the detergent just didn't wash off fully during my initial washing. Just to be safe, I did buy a second detergent called Planet I found at the grocery store on sale. Our washing machine is a bit bizarre. It was a low-grade model that came with the house, and it only has two water settings: small and x-large. I have never understood this. When I first washed our diapers, I selected the small setting since I only washed nine diapers. This time, I selected x-large for the cold cycle and put the detergent in that. Then I selected small for the hot cycle (to help save the hot water because of our high heating costs in the winter), and did the extra rinse. It worked beautifully, and there are no poo stains to my amazement. I might try this washing method with the Nellies again to see if rinsing was the issue or not.

I actually have 18 Bumgenius diapers total, purchased as part of a package deal that contained 12 cloth wipes, a small wet bag (to store dirty diapers in his diaper bag), and a diaper sprayer (especially good when they start eating solids) for a very reasonable price. Actually, I only have 17 in the house right now because the company I ordered them from somehow forgot one when they shipped the order! I contacted customer service and they are thankfully shipping the other. I do like these so far, and they are not hard at all.

Some days, like today, Liam just doesn't want to nap without being held on on someone's lap. Obviously that is not convenient to me, but we have found a compromise that makes both of us happy! These are the days my Moby wrap is indespensible. Here is our current favorite hold. I can even nurse him discreetly with this hug hold as well:
Discreet nursing!
Napping at last!

Once he's like this, the beauty of it is I can get things done around the house or get myself something to eat or drink all while helping him stay warm and comfortable. I do not have to worry about being quiet, as he sleeps soundly this way. I just mind his head and hold it if I am walking or bending down. I love it!

Finally, here are a couple short videos Michael got of Liam doing his morning work out routine:



3 comments:

Leah said...

I know its a little more expensive, but if you get some Oxyclean to soak your poop stained baby clothes in, you'll never have a stain! I just keep a bucket near the washer and throw anything poopy in there until I'm ready to do a load.

Mama Goose said...

Love the moby. Whenever I go anywhere, at least 4 people comment on it!

Jsplints said...

Yeah for bum-genius and the moby wrap. Two of my favorite baby items! You go girl!