Welcome to Our Blog!

This blog is designed to be an entertaining and easy way for our friends and family to see pictures and videos, plus keep up-to-date with all our parenting adventures. Don't worry if it's been awhile since we posted, just means we're going through a busy time and have our priorities in order!

Monday, March 9, 2009

4 Month Stats!

Today Liam had his 4 month well baby appointment. Everything was great, and I'm happy our pediatricians are very flexible about introducing solids. I hear some push or strongly encourage starting now. The group I go to lets the moms decide, even supporting some who decide to exclusively breastfeed the first 9 months. I want wait until at least 6 months to introduce solids to Liam. At that point his digestive system will be more mature so he is less likely to have issues. By that point he should be able to sit up in his chair much better, and might put some food in his own mouth too. Breastfeeding is going great for us, and I see no need to add anything else right now. When they mentioned the general rice cereal, I asked if I have to do that as his first food (curious what they would say). I asked my pediatrician why rice cereal is always encouraged, he just said it was mostly tradition and was just something basic no one is allergic to. He also admitted one of his sons wanted nothing to do with rice cereal and wouldn't even open his mouth, but when they put some applesauce in front of him he gobbled it right down. He said I can use my judgment and should just go with the flow. I am debating maybe trying a vegetable first.

Liam's new stats: he is 25.75 inches long (75%), he is 16 pounds (60%), and has a head circumference of 16.5 inches (40%). They said they mostly care about the growth curves, and his are exactly what they want to see. Liam is doing great!

He will get his second round of immunizations when he's actually almost 5 months old, on Friday, March 27.

1 comment:

Mama Goose said...

Good job Liam! I didn't know that 16 lb is actually only in the 60th percentile. Hm.