Welcome to Our Blog!

This blog is designed to be an entertaining and easy way for our friends and family to see pictures and videos, plus keep up-to-date with all our parenting adventures. Don't worry if it's been awhile since we posted, just means we're going through a busy time and have our priorities in order!

Friday, March 6, 2009

The Things You Discover When You Take A Closer Look

Around 2 hours after he woke up, I put Liam down for his first nap of the day as usual. But, today he just wasn't going to sleep. He acted a little tired, but was still not interested in fully relaxing. Since it was a beautiful 67 degrees, I wanted lull him to sleep with a stroll.

This time, instead of putting him in the car seat, transferring him to the stroller, then reversing this process, for once I decided to walk around our neighborhood. Generally dislike walking around in my own neighborhood. Given the choice, usually I'd much rather go explore some place new I don't see everyday, or go to a park (our area has tons of great ones, one of my favorite things about living here I always missed when I lived in other cities). My own neighborhood seems so boring sometimes. And to tell the truth, most people don't think very highly of it either.

However, I was surprised today. With curious eyes and a sense of adventure, I roamed nearby streets I didn't know as well. I saw unique houses I have never seen before. One even had a spiral staircase leading up to a deck build up on the roof (I bet that view is amazing, as they are on the hill and overlook downtown). I found other really nice parts of our neighborhood that contrast with the parts dominated by renters and students. I also saw intriguing pieces of the history of this place I never would have noticed in a car. I was reminded, sometimes you just have to take a second look and give a place a chance. I walked for 40 minutes, and Liam was awake for at least 30 of those minutes. He finally got to the point he couldn't keep his eyes open any more, but I could tell he just wants to take everything in. I like to think I'm giving him interesting new material for his dreams.

1 comment:

Mama Goose said...

Isn't it interesting the things you notice more while running than in a car? And then I have found I see more while walking than while running.