Welcome to Our Blog!

This blog is designed to be an entertaining and easy way for our friends and family to see pictures and videos, plus keep up-to-date with all our parenting adventures. Don't worry if it's been awhile since we posted, just means we're going through a busy time and have our priorities in order!

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Early Bird (in fact, earlier than most birds!)

Bedtime was awesome, but the morning threw everything for a big loop. One of the unspoken laws of parenting a baby seems to be just when you think you have their schedule figured out, it will change again. Though Liam has gone to bed at 7:30 before (so going to bed at 7pm isn't that big of a change), this morning for the first time he was up partying at 5:30! Yikes! He actually first woke up at 4:30, had some gas, and I fed him next to me. He settled back down like usual. But the next thing I know he was up at 5:30, annoying me by just going on and off the breast without actually trying to eat, kicking, failing, and making noise. I tried shooshing him and getting him to relax, but he persisted. I just set him back in the crib. I'm not getting up at 5:30 regularly and I don't want to encourage this! He played and kicked like crazy for an hour, then started crying and said what sounded like "Mama." With that, I nursed him again, but he still didn't settle down. I don't know what was going on. I set him back in the crib and just let him play there until 8am. Then I woke up and started actually talking to him and interacting. Before, I just treated it like it was still nighttime. I'm willing to get up a little earlier than 8am regularly, but not 5:30. Sorry.

I don't know if it was just a wacky night, or the transition down to two naps was too soon and is throwing him way off. My main theory is the problem was likely caused by the temperature in the room. The ceiling fan was on last night, and I woke up chilly. Liam was wearing a sleep bag with his feet hanging out, since he generally hates socks. When I got up to turn down the fan (I think at 4:30) that woke Liam up. Chances are he wasn't comfortable and that is why he was having trouble setting back down like usual. I am doubting the slightly earlier bedtime was to blame since he slept better early in the night.

Tonight I'm going to try dressing him in a light sleeper and see if that is better for him. The only thing that did work for sure, is me going to bed by 11pm, and letting myself have downtown helped. I didn't go to sleep right when I went to bed, but I though it was the worst night Liam's had in awhile, I am still feeling rested enough. So, though Liam might not be as predictable as he seemed, at least getting myself to bed earlier is a good insurance policy.

No comments: