Welcome to Our Blog!

This blog is designed to be an entertaining and easy way for our friends and family to see pictures and videos, plus keep up-to-date with all our parenting adventures. Don't worry if it's been awhile since we posted, just means we're going through a busy time and have our priorities in order!

Monday, April 27, 2009

Little Explorer

Here are some new things Liam has been up to lately (and why I've been less consistent about blogging...another sign winter is over!):

While being rocked for a nap, he figured out how to pull the cover down!
Peekaboo Daddy!
Learning to play piano (and who says you cannot play with your head!). Also, he's trying to figure out how to escape the Bumbo.

He enjoys his new toys from Easter, like this train
The sweet boy also tried to help Mama fold and sort laundry!
Discovering his feet!
Practicing saying Mama (both of us have heard him say what sounded like Mama on and off several times, but we aren't 100% sure yet. I tried to get it on video...either way, I love hearing him "talking" and we're still teaching him Dada as well of course)! We had on reggae music celebrating the first day of the really nice mid-80 degree weather (he was in shorts (see next post) after his morning nap that day).

More of his babbling (check out that crazy Einstein hair!)


Enjoying the beautiful weather and spring flowers
His second time experiencing grass, he's still not to sure about it yet....the expressions say it all! The first time he played in a bit more and tried to pull it. Now he seems to be thinking...this is kind of itchy and prickly. Overall, the boy does love being outside. He was smiling looking up at the trees and sky with a nice warm breeze blowing across his face.
As for me, I worked 33 hours last week. Even though I work at home and love it, I still am tired. I tend to work my longest blocks after Liam goes to bed at night. I often don't get to bed until around midnight, and then we have a very consistent wake up call every morning at 8am. It amazes me, that Liam is so consistent about this time regardless of what time he goes to bed.

Liam still only wants to nap in the car seat. I still set him in the crib regularly, but there he just doesn't sleep during the day. I still have decided to pick my battles (evening is more important) and just let him sleep where he sleeps best for naps. For our busy and often on the go lifestyle, the car seat actually does make more sense than the crib for his naps, since we cannot always be at the house at nap time. Why change what is working? I admire and applaud the moms who do have a baby that always naps in the crib, but unless I can have one that will nap in both crib and car seat with no problem I personally prefer the car seat for us. He thankfully does take longer naps now instead of those little 30-45 minute cat naps.

Right now, I'm mostly encouraging him to continue falling asleep on his own at night. I have been setting him down awake, but very drowsy. Some nights, everything aligns and I set him in bed and he falls asleep on his own perfectly. Other nights, for whatever reason it can be a little more of a struggle. Tonight was one of those nights. I accidentally let him doze off a little while nursing before I had him ready for bed. It wasn't long, but it was enough to throw him off a little. I tried to get him to calm down, then Michael did. Nothing was working, he was just fussing and fighting. Then, I just went up and talked to him like he was an older kid. In a very calm and loving voice, I just stroked his cheek and explained that he needed to relax, he needs the sleep, we're right downstairs and here if he needs us, etc. I watched him smile a me, and I turned on his music. When I left the room, he was wide awake. But amazingly, somehow that worked. No more fussing, no crying, when the music stopped I only heard the peaceful sounds of crickets chirping from our "white noise" clock radio with nature sounds. It felt good to soothe him with just loving words, and finally help him sleep sooner! It was like he knew what I was saying!

I prefer gentle/parent coaxing sleep methods instead of letting him cry. I actually read research that both methods are equally effective when applied consistently, just the "gentle" parent coaxing methods of "sleep training" can take a little longer to establish. For us, that involves setting relaxing routines in the evening, and finding ways to gradually calm him so he's ready to drift off to sleep when we set him in bed. He has responded very well to it, so it has worked for both of us. Sleep is very important for babies and parents, so I think people should do whatever fits their own parenting philosophy and personality, and helps everyone get the maximum amount of sleep in their household.

A couple weeks ago I also read the book Protecting the Gift (How to Keep Kids Safe and Parents Sane) by Gavin De Becker. I am not a worrier, but this book actually discourages needless worry and teaches you very practical things to consider to both help keep yourself and child from being a target and what to do if you find yourself in threatening situations (and he covers a variety of situations, and other topics like how to chose a child care provider and recognize signs of sexual abuse). I definitely found it to be a very good and informative read, and would recommend it. Like all books, you just glean what you want to out of it.

No comments: