Welcome to Our Blog!

This blog is designed to be an entertaining and easy way for our friends and family to see pictures and videos, plus keep up-to-date with all our parenting adventures. Don't worry if it's been awhile since we posted, just means we're going through a busy time and have our priorities in order!

Monday, December 15, 2008

Freedom

Saturday afternoon I embarked on my first adventure of shopping solo with Liam. And it strikes me that only a parent could be considered "solo" without really being alone! I got Liam ready myself: changed, suited up in a reindeer bodysuit that acts like a winter coat, and strapped into the car seat. Then we were off. As Liam was resting peacefully in his back seat, I felt such a sense of elation as I pulled onto the interstate. This really wasn't too bad. Something about this felt like I was resuming a little of my old way of life, my old freedom! 

After arriving at the Gap Outlet, this reminder of my old way of life was abruptly interrupted as soon as I put him in the Baby Bjorn that keeps him upright against my chest. I now had to feed Liam in the parking lot before I could attempt going into the store. I sat there at least 30 minutes as well, watching people come in and out. Finally we got into the store, and I found him several new clothes for only $35. This is good, because kids clothes are insanely expensive given the amount of practical use they really have. We also made it to Babies R Us, where I could get a few missing components for my breastpump I only recently discovered I needed. I also stopped by the grocery store. He made many people smile.

I learned that shopping with a newborn takes twice as long as shopping alone. But, it really felt like a huge accomplishment. Overtime, I may master the skill of timing it even better.

My shopping trip delayed us horribly in getting up to my parents house in Dayton when I hoped to be up there, but I have learned not to worry about time as much these days. It's beyond my control for the most part anyway, and the more I accept that the less stressed I can be. At least when we arrived Liam was in a really sweet active/alert stage and was cooing and smiling at everyone. He also did really well when we visited my aunt and uncle's church and joined the luncheon afterward to celebrate her 50th birthday. He even smiles at strangers now!

Today I also tried pumping for the very first time. I decided to pump on one side while Liam was feeding on the other the first thing this morning when my supply is really high. Sure enough, I easily got 5oz (with more to spare)! Michael was eager to try and feel him. I have heard it is best to introduce a baby to the bottle around 4 weeks. So at 6 weeks, would he still take it? To increase our chance of success, gave Michael a guide I found on how to bottle feed a breast fed baby, then let Michael try as I left the room. Liam ended up taking the bottle pretty quickly, and ate 1 0z. After that, he did his recent fussing thing he does to me as well where he gets really distracted and pulls away and flails. Sometimes he does this because he needs burped, but I also read that fussing while feeding is normal for babies of his age as they become highly distractible. We put him back at the breast, but still considered it a success that he didn't completely balk at the bottle and would likely take it if I had to be away or we want to go out for a date again sometime!

Speaking of fussing, he's doing that now on my lap so I better just focus on him and try to help him get to sleep soon. 

1 comment:

Leah said...

Ugh... I know how time consuming and challenging it can be to shop with a baby. I went shopping today for the first time WITHOUT a baby in a long time! What a relief! I was footloose and fancy free!