Welcome to Our Blog!

This blog is designed to be an entertaining and easy way for our friends and family to see pictures and videos, plus keep up-to-date with all our parenting adventures. Don't worry if it's been awhile since we posted, just means we're going through a busy time and have our priorities in order!

Monday, December 1, 2008

Getting in the Groove

Liam is officially one month old today! Tomorrow he has a check up and we can see how big this little man is getting!

Thanks to my sister, here are pictures of my cousins meeting little Liam!!
Liam meeting Christy
Meeting Jessi
And finally Matt

If I get other pictures from people, I'll post those too. Love to share them!

Last night we got caught up a little more on sleep. Liam is starting to require work to go to bed as he seems to be entering a phase where he sometimes fights sleep at night and needs actively calmed down. With a combination of shushing (both him and sometimes Michael when he starts talking or steps on a creaky floorboard), swaddling, swaying/bouncing, and patience I have been able to get it done without a huge battle so far. I am always happy when I set him down in his bassinet and he stays quiet! He did fuss a little bit last night around 3am and didn't want to go back to sleep easily. Michael helped out again once, and around 5 or so I put him in bed next to me to side nurse so I could and nap a little longer. We got that down so it is more efficient: I barely wake up as I move away all blankets and pillows and set him on a burp cloth, and Liam now can latch on without a problem!

Today was extremely productive, and Michael and I felt like we are starting to learn how to get things done with a baby. It seems almost impossible at first, and some days still don't allow for much to be accomplished, but we're slowly figuring out how to maximize time we do get. I got a load of laundry washed, another folded. Michael and I did a huge shopping trip (almost 4 hours) with Liam, and this time Michael wore him in a Baby Bjorn carrier that lets him sit upright facing Michael. Both of them really seemed to enjoy it. We stocked up on all kinds of stuff. Went to Target (at least I did), Meijer, Sam's Club, Home Depot (well, Michael did while I stayed in the car and nursed Liam), Michaels to get an angel for the top of our tree, and finally Kroger. Working together it was so much easier to navigate around and get things done. I never could have done that all alone. When we got home, Michael had the good idea to leave Liam warm in the carseat in the car (we closed the garage door) while we unloaded so we didn't wake him up. This worked like a charm! I got a lot of stuff put away before having to feed him that way. Michael also fixed our loose porch rail, while I got chicken ready for the freezer and started the dishwasher while Liam was enjoying his swing.

Both of us noticed Liam seems less self-absorbed now. He finally has paid attention to the cats, but he still doesn't react strongly to them. For the first time, he also hit the ring on his swing. It might have been by accident, but he is starting to try and grasp things more. He commonly holds my hair while nursing and it is so cute. If he stays gentle, I might just get to keep it long without pain. He's sleeping now, so I better get ready too!

No comments: