Welcome to Our Blog!

This blog is designed to be an entertaining and easy way for our friends and family to see pictures and videos, plus keep up-to-date with all our parenting adventures. Don't worry if it's been awhile since we posted, just means we're going through a busy time and have our priorities in order!

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Michael's Medical Mystery

I cannot believe August is already half over. It is starting to feel more September-like already, as I can tell it is not as light outside in the morning when I get up as it used to be. The nights are also getting a little cooler already. Reminders of fall coming soon remind me our little one is also coming soon. Only 2 months, 20 days until d-day (if this baby is one of the few who comes on the predicted day that is!).

Today's story about Michael began around 7:20 this morning. I was rushing around trying to find my shoes and leave for work on time. Michael had just gotten out of the shower and was walking around the room in shorts. I couldn't help but notice he had red rashes on his torso. These did not look normal at all. He told me he had started itching a little when he woke up this morning, but thought the skin probably just looked red from scratching. I told him, "No Honey, I think you're having an allergic reaction. Look in the mirror." I noticed large red patches on his chest, but other spots on the back of his thighs that looked like hives. He went over to the mirror, totally unconcerned, and said he couldn't really see because he didn't have his contacts in. Sigh....men! I still encouraged him to go to the doctor just to get checked out, even though we couldn't think of anything unusual we have done, eaten, or been in contact with. Still, rashes can be caused by viruses and other things too. If it were me, or if it was our child, I would have called in and called the doctor right away. But I let him be in control of decision making at this point.

I went on to work, but called him at first at two-hour intervals. He seemed fine, so I let him be. However, sometime after 2pm he sent me a message on Google chat letting me know the rash got worse and was now spreading to his arms and face. I had a feeling this might happen. He went to get some Benadryl, but even that didn't seem to help him that much. He had tried to call the doctor, but they couldn't get him in until 11:15 tomorrow morning. I didn't want to wait that long. I also didn't want him to be miserable all night long. So I left work early at 4:30 to take him to an Urgent Care. It is more expensive than going to the doctor, but less than the emergency room. It is worth it. I have a flexible spending account that will cover co-pays. He was still blotchy all over when I got home, with scattered little bumps, but apparently it had gone down a little. The reaction spread all over his face, to his fingers, and down to his knees.

While no definite cause is known, the doctor there seemed to think it was topical based on the type of rash and way it was spreading. She said it definitely appeared to be a classic allergy response. The only unusual thing we could think he handled was a new kind of motor oil (he changed the oil last night). While they never heard of anyone with an allergy like that, they said they hear new things all the time. Also, maybe it was one chemical that blend included. Who knows. They gave him a shot of some kind, and also prescriptions for a type of steroid (commonly prescribed for reactions like this) and a cream to put on any rashes to help with itching. They said he should feel great by the morning.

We stopped at the grocery store to fill the prescription, and bought some produce and ground sirloin that was on sale. We make hamburgers and salad for dinner, and it was so good!! I noticed by the time we got home, Michael looked normal and the redness was gone. This was good for me too, as talking to Michael about his rashes was making me itch a little too. My belly already itches sometimes anyway! I had no signs of rashes though, thankfully.

I hope he continues making good progress and we avoid whatever did that to him from this point on! Meanwhile, the baby is doing great. I feel a lot of shifting around these days, and can tell the baby likes to switch sides (I can feel the little rear end on one side, then later on the other). Sometimes the kicking or rocking now make my belly jiggle a little and it's pretty funny. I don't know if others can notice it yet, but I do!

No comments: