Welcome to Our Blog!

This blog is designed to be an entertaining and easy way for our friends and family to see pictures and videos, plus keep up-to-date with all our parenting adventures. Don't worry if it's been awhile since we posted, just means we're going through a busy time and have our priorities in order!

Monday, November 3, 2008

Firsts Every Day

We're all doing well here, slowly getting settled. I'm also slowly getting more sleep. The first night was pretty rough. Every hour, almost on the hour Liam would wake up and in turn keep me from ever getting to sleep. By 7am or so, I was so sore and tired I woke up Michael (who had been sleeping) and asked him to watch over him and get him out of the pack n play for me. We ended up just setting him on the middle of the bed between us, with all sheets cleared away, and I finally was able to sleep that way as he settled with Michael (who I think mostly stayed awake). After a little 2-3 hour nap, I felt a ton better. Trust me, the first night with a newborn 2-3 hours is something to celebrate for mom! All the adrenaline helped me get by.

The night was full of a few little magical and funny moments. We decided to start out letting the cats come in our bedroom, and planned to remove them if there was any concerns. Right after we went to bed, Pumpkin jumped into the pack n play where the baby was sleeping. Liam didn't even stir at all, but as soon as Pumpkin saw him he was out in a flash. Neither cat has attempted that since! Later in the night, when I was up feeding him there was a moment where he just looked me right in the eyes and was studying my face. It was the coolest feeling, and the love a mother feels when her child looks into her eyes like that is indescribable. The eyes of a newborn are just so pure and bright, it is just wonderful.

Later in the night, when he was crying before a feeding Chester came in and acted like he was concerned. He then jumped up on the bed, and came over to sniff us. He jumped in the pack n play (while I was holding the baby) and sniffed around, then hopped back out (also never has tried to go back since). He next laid down on the bed by Michael's feet and just looked at us. Another time Liam was crying Pumpkin came and was stretching up his neck to see what was going on. They were running around the house getting annoying around 5am, but since that time they have calmed down and definitely seem to have accepted Liam. Chester even slept in our bed like normal last night, and didn't even care when I had to get up to take care of Liam.

Michael still went to church yesterday to go tell everyone there (there was also an announcement, but he wanted to show pictures and go tell some people in person who were eagerly watching to see if I would show up the past couple Sundays). I didn't mind hanging out on my own with the baby. We had several visitors from Michael's family stop by the house, and it was actually fun. I had no idea if I'd want visitors after having a baby, but all went so well and I'm so happy I don't mind as long as they are healthy ;-) My mom also came yesterday night and will stay for the next three days to help me sleep and also help clean and do some of the things I never got done.

Last night was much, MUCH better. I started out with a 3 hour nap while Mom watched Liam. Then, I came up to feed him and he actually went to sleep afterward so I got to sleep more too! He woke me up for another feeding a couple hours later, but went back to sleep after that. I feel much, much better today...I probably got about 7 hours of sleep total (maybe as much as I got over the last three days combined).

We took him to his first visit with the pediatrician this morning. They wanted to see him early since he was very slightly jaundice when born. This was my first time getting out of the house for awhile, and wow it was gorgeous! The sky was bright blue, fall colors are at their peak in our area, and it was so warm I was fine only in a short sleeved t-shirt and jeans. All good news: he is in excellent shape! The jaundice is going away, and he actually started gaining weight again already. He was 7 lb 8 oz when he was born, and dropped to 7 lb 2 oz when he left the hospital. I think he was up to 7lb 5 oz at the appointment today! We made a new parent mistake and didn't have a change of diaper for him...they weigh little babes completely naked, and of course the diaper he did have on was dirty. They gave him one that was the next size up and it was making me crack up because it looked inflated on him (and when sleep-deprived, I often get extra slap-happy). I learned once he reaches his birth weight, I'm allowed to start going longer between feedings.

The only concern I had was recently noticing our champion-eater was now becoming a champion spitter-upper. Sometimes, it is in large quanities and is slightly projectile! Thankfully, I learned there is no real concern at this age as long as they aren't obviously in pain or arching their backs a lot while spitting up. When they seem content, like Liam always is, the general causes are just gas and overeating. I definitely wouldn't be surprised if over-eating is this guy's main issue. Now my milk is really coming in, he is currently my little breast pump.

The rest of the day, Liam slept a lot. I hope we can eventually get this schedule turned around! Mommy had her first glass of wine since Valentine's day, and is hoping it will help her take a nap here in a few minutes. Got to get myself used to taking naps during the day more!

I plan to get more pictures on here soon!

No comments: