Welcome to Our Blog!

This blog is designed to be an entertaining and easy way for our friends and family to see pictures and videos, plus keep up-to-date with all our parenting adventures. Don't worry if it's been awhile since we posted, just means we're going through a busy time and have our priorities in order!

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Liam's Birth Story (Mom's Account)

The Last Days of Pregnancy

Michael and I had savored our last couple weekends before the baby arrived. We enjoyed having some time to ourselves and some time with friends. Things were very chaotic for a time, and after having storm damage and a roof leak, our little baby's room was not even ready for us to set up until Monday, October 27. Michael surprised me by initiating a major cleaning effort that night, and he moved all the furniture back into the room.

I spent the next couple days feeling the urgent need to get the baby stuff from the showers sorted and put away. I quickly finished up some lingering projects, or at least got them to the point I could hand them off as needed because all I wanted to do was prepare for the arrival of my baby. I really believed I might go overdue after my doctor's appointment that Tuesday, which showed little progress from the week before. All along (even recorded on this blog somewhere) I predicted I was going to have an October baby, but now I wasn't convinced.

Laboring at Home

I laughed when I felt my first contractions on Tuesday night, almost like it was a joke. For my entire pregnancy, I never even noticed one Braxton Hicks contraction or anything. Still, I knew in the days and weeks before labor this could start, so I totally dismissed these. I did tell Michael that night, but swiftly warned him not to get too excited.

In the middle of the night, early Wednesday morning I had yet a few more little contractions. I heeded them, then went back to sleep. When the day got started, I felt that now odd, but familiar old feeling my period was about to start. I continued to deny it meant anything, but got everything high priority done and notified Donna my doula just in case. Michael was talking about helping lead a small group at International Friendships on Friday night, and I warned him to not commit since the contractions were still ambiguous. Since they did not totally disappear, it started to make me wonder a little. Donna told me she would be on call for me now and we made sure we both had all each other's numbers.

3:30am on Thursday, contractions were so strong they woke me up and I started practicing my breathing and imagery techniques. They were 10 minutes apart for a period of time, but fizzled out. I almost got up to take a shower at 5am, but felt it was important to just rest and try to sleep instead. I got up around 9am and noticed everything had calmed down, but I still felt at least one fairly decent contraction at least once every half hour. I ate a piece of toast with strawberry jam, and noticed I didn't have my usual appetite. My energy was also gone, and I had no desire to do anything like I had the day before. I took a shower, and didn't even bother getting dressed....just sat around in my robe all day, mostly on the couch. I sat on a towel just in case, and Michael stayed home that day with me. He helped take care of me and mostly did his own thing, while I finally decided to watch the Lamaze cd my doula had given to me and practice. It was so funny when they suggested how to imagine contractions because I did not have to imagine at all! I got all the blankets and pillows I needed and got myself comfortable. I also started timing contractions on this nifty little program I found out about on the pregnancy forums: http://www.contractionmaster.com/

At some point in the afternoon when I got up to go to the bathroom or try to do laundry, I noticed it hurt TERRIBLY to walk far and going up or down stairs was torture. It felt like my pelvis was going to split apart! The ball joints on my hips ached, and even the top part of my quad muscles. Probably around 1 or 2 pm, Michael made chicken noodle soup for lunch for me, since I was unable to get up and make anything for myself. I kept Donna updated and she suggested my body might be easing into labor. I kept feeling my baby moving a lot, after being quiet for a day or two.

By around 5 or 6 pm, I noticed my contractions really pick up and become more organized. By around 6:30pm they were about 40-50 seconds long, 6-7 minutes apart, and fairly intense. I didn't know whether to call my doctor though, because they didn't hurt so bad I couldn't talk through them yet. I was uncomfortable, especially when I tried to walk or change positions. These weird annoying hiccups, I got on and off the rest of the night started. I also started noticing I was losing bits of my mucous plug, which also can be a strong indicator of labor I was told to look out for. I posted an update on a pregnancy buddy group I'm on, and all the girls were getting very excited and started sending me "easy labor vibes." Around this point we also had given heads up to our families. I started getting text messages, and I also put a post on the blog to alert anyone out there following it. I started praying, started thinking of some of my favorite songs from church. Started preparing myself for what was ahead.

Sometime around 7pm or so, I suddenly felt like I was going to throw up and yelled for Michael to get me a bowl (since I knew I'd never make it upstairs to the toilet on time). Promptly, I got sick and after that when I went to the bathroom I noticed I lost my plug. Now I knew this was it! I could also feel myself dilating in all these small sharp, shock-like pains. I went to the bedroom to lay on the bed, and Michael brought the laptop for me to use and to keep timing my contractions. I told Michael to finish the laundry I had tried to start earlier in the day, told him to make sure the car seat was set up, and to finish packing the hospital bag. He tried to feed me, but I told him I was just going to listen to my body and not try to eat again. I called my doula and decided it was time to call my doctor. I started getting text messages and stuff and all this was fairly annoying at the time, but in hindsight it was probably helpful in distracting me from the pain of contractions.

When I called the doctor's office, the phone just rang and rang and I was starting to get desperate. I had no idea how to reach my doctor!! The only other time I had to call after hours, I thought it gave me a number on the voice mail. Why wasn't the voice mail picking up? I yelled for Michael and he helped call some women I knew who also went to my doctor to see if any of them had an after-hours phone number. Thankfully, one woman just happened to have a neighbor who is good friends with my doctor and knew his personal number! Dr. L. called me back promptly after that, and I had to have Michael talk to him until I got through a contraction. My contractions were still a little unorganized, so he said to just wait and try to relax for now to see if they got to be almost a minute long and 5 minutes apart. I was feeling like maybe I should go to the hospital, after we hung up. Then Donna called back (I had to miss her call because I was in the middle of a contraction), and she was suggesting I listen to my feelings and call my Dr back. Sure enough, not long after that they started coming on about one every 3.5 minutes (I never had them at 5 minute intravals), and I wobbled to the bathroom and got sick again. I also had light, bright red bleeding start. It was definitely hospital time! Michael called my Dr. and we started frantically (as frantic as I could be in labor) packing up.

It still took us almost 30 minutes to get out the door. I was having a hard time focusing or pointing at what else Michael needed to pack. It was so hard to get dressed. However, I think this distraction was useful in keeping my focus away from the pain! Then I wanted Michael to make sure he watered the plants, and he never had dinner so I told him to eat before we left because even then I was concerned about him. But Michael just grabbed a Hot Pocket from the freezer and threw it in his pocket, and said he was going to use the microwave at the hospital (smart man). He got all our stuff loaded up and got the car out. We left the house a little after 10:00pm. I made certain to sit on a towel, just in case my water broke!

Hospital Antics, Surprises, and Joy

We left for the hospital (which is only around a 5-7 minute drive) a little after 10pm, and I distracted myself from the pain of going over all the bumps by looking at things around me. I noticed there were cars parked everywhere, must have been a football game going on. I noticed the gas price at the local station was $2.09 (wow, it had really dropped). I also kept telling Michael just to slow down and take it easy. At the hospital, Michael asked if I wanted to walk or wanted him to get the wheelchair. I chose wheelchair. The last thing I wanted to do was walk. Michael left me in the car as I was reading the stickers on the car next to us, then he came back and helped me into the chair. He piled pillows and the stuff on top of me (we really packed too much!), and we must have been a funny sight! The sky was clear, and the air was cool and crisp.

He took me straight up to the labor and delivery area, and by this point I was fully in Laborland (in the state where I was just feeling out of it, talking really slow, and trying to rest as much as possible in between the pain). It took me awhile to give them the information they needed to check me in. I started to notice everything smelled weird or bad. The nurses who brought over my paperwork to sign smelled like they just ate sauerkraut or something (I later figured out the smell was hospital grade hand santizer).

They first took me into a room where they checked to be sure I was in active labor. This was more annoying, than anything to me. There was NO DOUBT! However, it is standard procedure and at least would let me know how far I was and how far I might have to go. It was around 10:30. Another women was being monitored in the room, behind a curtain, who had a really cute little boy with bright red hair. The first thing they had me do was strip down and put on a robe. Michael had to help me because it just hurt so bad to stand and to try and move. Then the put me on a bed and put on the monitors. I had blood pressure thing on my arm that squeezed almost too hard, and a little clip on my finger they later moved to my toes. They put two on my belly: one to monitor the baby and the other to monitor each contraction. When asked to rank my pain, looking at a chart that was next to the bed I ranked myself around 8-7 (severe pain). When they checked my dilation, I was shocked to hear I was 5 cm dilated and the baby was all the way down!! They also said I had a big, bulging bag of waters. I knew 5cm is the half way point, but it is the hardest point to reach. Once a woman hits 5cm, usually the pain peaks and the rest of labor can go much quicker.

Despite this, I was at the point I was so open to get an epidural! I honestly no longer cared about my goals, I just wanted the pain to be over. Every marathon runner, who has ever tried for specific goal time knows this feeling. There is a point around mile 21-25 where you get to be in so much pain, you honestly are tempted for just forget about your goals and walk. When the nurses asked what I wanted and I said I was open, Michael spoke up for me and said I had wanted a natural labor. With this, they started encouraging me and told me I was already so close and the baby was in prime position. Donna also had also met up with us here, and also was encouraging me. They really believed I would have no problem going natural! I always heard hospitals would push interventions and drugs, but here they were not even giving me a heplock and just rushing me over to a labor and delivery room!

I think we were in room 9027 or 9028 (or something, which made me think of my birthday). It was around 11pm. I couldn't believe I was here, and my baby was coming on Halloween! The nurse got me hooked up on a belt that monitored all my contractions and the baby's heart rate. It was in the 140's, sometimes jumping higher. Donna started asking what techniques I was interested in trying. But Laborland Lisa was just moaning, "I don't knnnooooowwww" and appeared to be in a trance. Michael also finally stepped out to eat, and I told him to not eat the Hot Pocket in the room. He came back quickly though. I didn't feel like being mobile at all, but I did spend some time in the rocking chair and on the birthing ball until the pressure in my pelvis was so great I didn't want to sit on anything but maybe a toilet. I was also so thirsty, they both kept spoon-feeding me little pieces of crushed ice and it was wonderful to me.

Probably before midnight, the contractions started becoming excrutiating! Level 9 and 10 pain. Donna could see them on the monitor. At this point, I told Michael I wanted drugs. I started losing control a little bit, sometimes instead of breathing just groaning and moaning. Nothing felt comfortable any more, every position hurt. Donna was very surprised at my new request, but it is not uncommon close to transition! She just kept me focused and tried to keep me comfortable. She also encouraged the moaning, told me to let the baby hear it. Michael encouraged me to keep breathing and tried to come up and breathe next to me. I had to keep him from getting too close because even the normal smell of his hair and other things all bothered me. He was still helping though, and took my cues. Donna told me, I don't know what mile this would be in a marathon but I really believe you are really close to the end. I really enjoyed when she just massaged my back and hips, and applied cold clothes to my forehead. They tried offering me a warm rice sock, but I was not in the mood for anything hot. I was going between hot and cold flashes, but as the pain intensified I only felt hot. At some point my primary nurse disappeared because another labor was requiring a ceasarian. Another, younger nurse was sent in just to check on me.

I started yelling out again, "Isn't there anything they can do (for the pain)!!!" I barely had time to rest, STRONG contractions every 1-2 minutes. Then Michael said the most centering thing for me. He said it will take them at least 30 minutes to even get the IV started and get me ready for an epidural. In my head, I thought that could be another 60 contractions (ha, have to love Laborland math!), that isn't going to help. I want relief NOW! Now I went back to focusing on breathing. Donna called for the nurse to check my progress around 12:30, I think, and told me we could also request for them to break my waters as this might get the baby out quicker and relieve some of my pressure. All I could do now was just lay on my side. Some contractions I moaned through, some I breathed through. I just wanted it to be over. I rested the best I could in between, but it was truly intense. I kept yelling, "Aren't they hurrying!!!" as at least a half hour passed.

Suddenly I got the urge to push. The younger nurse was saying wait, since they hadn't checked me yet and pushing too early can bruise the cervix! But telling a woman in labor to not push is like telling someone to hold it who really has to use the bathroom. I couldn't really control it fully. I tried to relax, but I just wanted to push. It was all I could think about. My doctor wasn't even there yet (the female OB, Dr. H was on call), but she had been called. The nurse checked me, and everyone was shocked to hear I was 10 cm. Fully dialated. Now she franctically started calling for any extra nurses, my doctor, and for the hospital's doctor. You could tell she never expected to be the one who might deliver a baby! It was so funny. She also started trying to prep the room and needed Donna to help her get the light in position, and they gave me an oxygen mask (I don't think I needed it, but it didn't bother me either way). Pandamonium, indeed, but I was vaguely even aware of it! Suddenly my water broke on it's own with a big splash and a gush! Baby was coming! Donna encouraged the nurse to just get me ready to push. It did feel much better when that happened, and it was so encouraging. This was mile 25. I was a little afraid of crowning (also known as "the ring of fire") but I knew it could be quick and I kept in mind this was it, then I would finally have relief.

So, sometime around 1 or so (I think) they helped me get on my back. I tried pushing once with a contraction, and sure enough could feel the head. The baby was crowning! Now I was wondering how and if I could push that head out, but I just trusted my body. My body knew exactly what to do so far, so I had no doubt now. People started crowding around me, Michael was by my side. Spotlight was on you know where, and I just took it easy. I pushed a little more at a time, didn't try to do it all at once. Then, there was a wave of relief over the staff as Dr. H. ran into the room fumbling around to get her gloves on. They never even had time to break my bed down like they usually do. I just let myself grunt and groan (like they taught us to do when I learned how to throw the discus back in high school track).

As I pushed Michael said, "I can see lots of dark hair!" Then he said, "I can see blood." I didn't even know if he was going to watch or not, but it was so cool hearing what was happening from him. On about the 5th push using focused strength, I felt the incredible feeling I will never forget of the baby's head moving out, the round little skull and bones pushing together so it fit so smoothly. One more push, and I could felt the baby's body come out. Michael then said, "It's a boy! We have a little son!" I took off the mask (that was barely on anyway), and Donna pulled up my gown and they put my naked little son skin to skin on my chest. William "Liam" Richard was crying as he was born, but as soon as they put him on me and I started stroking his back and said, "It's OK," he looked right in my eyes and just looked as relieved as I was. Michael got to cut the cord, and our awesome little baby was so precious, so alert. I also bounced immediately back to my normal, alert self! I thought I felt liquid and said, "I think he peed on me." And Dr. H. said he was peeing when he came out...hehe. There was so much joy in that room, everyone was impressed how well it went, and Dr. H. was glad she had made it just in time (literally I think she wasn't there even 10 minutes). Donna said she admitted she had to speed and ran a light to get to the hospital. She heard I was 5cm, and not long after that I was 10!! Rare for first-time moms!

Next, Dr. H. said it was time to deliver the placenta and asked me to give one more push. She didn't realize it was ready to come out, so she didn't have the bowl ready and it fell out on the bed and I heard her say made a little mess....lol! She also checked me out, and I was relieved to hear I had no tearing! I didn't need stitches. I was still sore and did have some mild abrasions, but it was the best case scenario!! Michael and I were so excited to have a son. Honestly, I first felt it was a boy and deep down, even when I started second guessing myself. Michael felt it was a boy as well, as did my mom and sister. The ultrasound I had also put the due date as Halloween, and it happened to be right.

With all the nurses and Donna there, as soon we started our son breastfeeding right away. The nurse even left him there and waited to get his weight and measurements. He was there almost an hour, so eager to eat and proud Daddy was already updating the blog and calling family. I was impressed at how much he had done! When Liam was done eating, we finally found out he was 7 lb 8 oz (he was average size, close to my birth weight of 7lb 11oz) and later found out he was 20.5 inches (same as Michael when he was born). He got his first bath in the room, and the did some routine procedures. From the table, there suddenly came a big stream of pee that went to the floor. We laughed and said the kid must be half bladder.

The younger nurse was so impressed by me. As they put me in "mommy diapers" she was asking how old I was and couldn't believe this was my first child. She said she was 33, and she didn't have kids yet but she was truly impressed at how controlled I stayed the whole time and how awesome it was to witness. Every time it looked like I would lose control, I'd come right back. She also gave Donna her email address, and said she was interested in becoming a doula. As another side note, I found out that Dr. L (the other male OB I often saw) just had a grandchild born the day after Liam.

Liam, your birth was definitely an amusing and wonderful experience for all involved. I praise God for answering all the prayers, and for how wonderful and beautiful you are. I am just so thankful, it is beyond words. If we have a brother or sister for you in the future, Mommy better plan a home birth or get to the hospital sooner since you were such a good and efficient little trailblazer ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is such an awesome story! God is good!
~Sara N

Mako Shark said...

L, thanks for sharing your story. It is worth the read, and as a runner, I really appreciated the analogy!