Welcome to Our Blog!

This blog is designed to be an entertaining and easy way for our friends and family to see pictures and videos, plus keep up-to-date with all our parenting adventures. Don't worry if it's been awhile since we posted, just means we're going through a busy time and have our priorities in order!

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Crib Story

We found a crib today! How it happened was definitely an interesting story!

On Sunday at our church's weekly potluck gathering, good friends of our (who have two kids) said I needed to check out Craigslist before I register for anything. I have used the Craigslist network before to look for places to sublet when I co-oped in Boston and Chicago, and once even looked for random freelance jobs there. I hadn't thought about it looking on there for baby stuff, but apparently it is what a lot of people use when they don't want to bother doing a yard sale. My friends gave me all their advice on what to do, what to look out for, etc. Most of it is common sense. They just warned, stuff can go very fast, so you have to check it regularly and move quickly when you see something you want. I planned to check it out Monday night.

Out of the blue a friend (and former roommate), Heidi, who I haven't talked to in several months, emailed me a link from Craigslist for a crib located in our neighborhood! It is white, converts into a toddler bed (which we want), and totally fits what I was already interested in. I researched what everything would go for brand new, and it buying it from them was at least $100 cheaper (not counting tax). I immediately contacted the couple, and asked if we could stop by and take a look at it. The only time that worked was today at 6pm.

It is in perfect shape (aside from one little nick I couldn't care less about). They are very nice people, who both got their masters in architecture at our University. The wife also just finished her PhD in German studies, and knew some friends of ours. They are moving back to their home country of Hungary soon, but have been around for several years. They have 2 kids, but only their 2 year old daughter used the crib. Their son is only 3 months old and has only slept in a pack and play. They said they hated to part with the crib, but it just costs too much to ship it and wasn't practical. They asked if it would be a problem for us to pick it up when they move in two weeks (so their daughter doesn't have to lose her bed too early) and that is prefect for us because the room isn't even cleared out yet. We both feel very good about this.

We now just have to work out details and some kind of agreement. We won't pay the balance until we actually pick it up, but would be willing to at least give them a deposit. Hopefully, this works out. I'll keep you posted and get pictures later.

My u/s is scheduled again for tomorrow at 4pm. If anything came up, this time I'd take the option of going to the hospital to have it done. Will be exciting to see how this baby is measuring. I cannot decide if it might be a boy or girl yet, and still am enjoying the suspense and imaging it going both ways. This kid is pretty laid back it seems so far. I was a little concerned for awhile I seemed to notice less movement, but it started back up again more regularly. The movements occur random times of the day, and so far aren't too crazy yet. Today the baby was kicking at my seat belt when I was driving home from work.

Other than that, today I discovered a pair of old pants I've had since high school that have always been big on me, and before would only stay up with safety pins taking in the sides, now fit me perfectly! I coupled them with a navy blue shirt my friend Stephanie gave me. It was a shirt from Express she bought on sale, but thought it looked to. much like a maternity for her so she gave it to me. It actually makes a really cute maternity shirt! It is nice and long so it will last awhile, has a tie around the back, and an empire waist that shows off my round little belly.

No comments: