Welcome to Our Blog!

This blog is designed to be an entertaining and easy way for our friends and family to see pictures and videos, plus keep up-to-date with all our parenting adventures. Don't worry if it's been awhile since we posted, just means we're going through a busy time and have our priorities in order!

Thursday, June 5, 2008

What a Difference a Week Can Make

So, I've been a little MIA here on my blog. Part of it has been from being tired a couple days this week, and a few of my evenings were spent following some good advice I have picked up along the way: enjoy doing things alone and as a couple we enjoy before our baby is born. We have had a couple movie nights (uninterrupted), and had friends over for dinner. In fact, we have someone over right now and mostly the guys are watching Top Gun. I'm part watching, part blogging since I have seen it before and want to catch up. Last night I planned to blog, but a friend of Michael's needed a place to study when the power went off in his area (during our third round of thunderstorms) and I surrendered my internet access by giving him my ethernet cord! Now, it is story time again!

Back on Saturday, I went to the first of my baby showers. This one was unique, in that it wasn't just for Michael and me but mostly for several pregnant Chinese women. We are all going to be in an international mother's group, and I'm looking forward to it. Most of them are farther along than me by at least several weeks (two of the women, one American and one Chinese, already had their babies!). One girl is about a week behind me. Most of them were surprised I wasn't really showing. In fact, even the girl a week behind me was showing a little more than me. She asked me if I had lost weight, but I assured her I have gained two pounds. I didn't worry about it, though I admit for one minute I thought "am I normal." Then I realized I was at least six inches taller than the other women, and build very differently. Different builds, show at different times. My own mother didn't show with me until closer to 20 weeks, so I expect to pop a little more over the next couple weeks.

It was very wonderful to see the huge array of baby supplies people had donated, and watching them go to these women who need them. A couple of them asked me if I was going to pick up more (since I only picked up several smaller things), but I told them I had friends and family who were going to throw more showers for me later and I wanted them to have it first if they needed it. It was a very fun time. I also heard, but haven't confirmed, that finding out the gender of your baby is illegal in China. That makes sense with their one child rule and general cultural male preference. Don't quote me on that yet, I'd have to ask more Chinese women more about it first to know for certain how it works.

Later that evening, we went to a couple's house party a couple at our church generally throws the last Saturday of the month. We ran into the other couple in our church we heard was pregnant, but haven't seen yet. She is due on October 4, basically exactly a month before me. We enjoyed talking to them, and hearing about their experience so far. Though she was a month ahead, her belly still wasn't that huge either. That made me feel more "normal" even though I know I am! Part of me is eager to show, but patience rules.

On Tuesday I decided to go looking around at maternity clothes for the first time. What convinced me it was time to start looking, was losing the hair tie that was helping keep my capri pants "buttoned" in the toilet! I stopped by Kohls first, and had a similar experience to my mom when she was shopping for that green shirt that says "baby" she bought for me. I couldn't find the maternity section anywhere! Why oh why do they make women who half the time already cannot think straight, and who are prone to wild mood swings and frustration search! Finally, my reasoning kicked in and I checked the infant apparel section. I was disappointed there really was no maternity section, just a couple racks that weren't really organized. I moved on to Target. They at least had signs over the department, but still bad selection (maybe because the one I went to was remodeling). I know of a few other places to check out, and hope to have better luck next time. At least I'm not in dire need yet. I'm still making due with my regular clothes for the time being, even if I cannot fully zip skirts up or button any pants!

At work, I spread the news of our Little One to others when a couple people asked me about running. Before I had to be unspecific about why I wasn't doing much, but now I could answer fully! One of those times, a woman who came back from maternity leave recently was standing next to me and congratulated me. She told me if I ever needed to talk to feel free and call her, and she would try to help assure me. She also said her advice was to take the whole 12 weeks I'll get for maternity leave, even though four weeks is unpaid (I plan to). She also advised me getting the baby on a schedule is very useful for getting them ready to sleep at night before I have to go back to work. She's the second Mom I know who mentioned the book Baby Wise, which is about how to set up a schedule for an infant. She said she didn't follow it that religiously, but used it as a good guideline. I'll have to check it out.

This morning I sat up in bed, looked in the mirror, and thought "my belly looks bigger today." I noticed a day or two ago the fundus (top) of my uterus had gone up at least a couple centimeters, closing in on my belly button that already looks more stretched than normal. No wonder I was so tired! Apparently, others are starting to notice too. One woman in my department told me in the ladies room I was definitely starting to look pregnant now, and people would begin to notice. Independently, the receptionists also made comments about my belly. How much I show does depend a little on what I'm wearing still, but it is fun to make progress, and amazing what a difference a week can make!

By the way, one last thing! Lately, I noticed some interesting new movements. It feels like the baby is rolling around. The best I can describe it is a light "tremor" or tumbling sensation. I know it wasn't only gas bubbles. ;-)

1 comment:

Jsplints said...

So exciting that you are starting to feel more prego! I didn't start showing until after 20 weeks either! I say read everything you can but take everything with a grain of salt. I read babywise, but have heard horror stories about it as well (I can bring it out to you this week!)...another book is Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth! I checked it out of the library and am really liking it!