
Father's day is pretty much a blur now, as we jumped from party to party like busy little bees. We had celebrated with both our fathers in advance, realizing this weekend would be crazy and to help save gas now it is hovering around $4 a gallon (my family is an hour away, Michael's is around two hours).
We started off at church in the morning, then we had three hours of down time where we managed to get one load of laundry done and I forget what else. Our church has what are called Summer Sundays each week in the evenings, and all they are is big potlucks that are laid back and fun. Since the neighbors three doors down were hosting this first one, we decided to go make an appearance. It was fun to say hi to people, and I couldn't help but to eat a little bit there! ;-)
Next we went to going away party number one for a Chinese friend who is moving back to China next week. At the party, many people showed up. There were four pregnant women I think (including me)! We had traditional Chinese hot pot, where they spice big pots of boiling water (spiced at two different levels) and then throw whatever they want in. You name it, they like thin sliced pork, shrimp balls, potatoes, lettuce or bok choy, noodles, tofu, meatballs, and numerous other things like that. It just gets tossed in, cooks a couple minutes, then everyone generally just digs in and picks out what they want with chopsticks (while some of us Americans use spoons). No worries that those are the same chopsticks people eat with, the water is boiling and would kill anything. I don't mind hot pot, but I find it is not something I enjoy as much as native Chinese do. For me it is too many Szechuan peppercorns, or some kind of spice that seems to be an acquired taste (at least for non-Chinese). Still a very fun, cultural experience and even we "picky" Americans can find something to eat we like!
I made a quick stop also at a going away party for a friend moving away for her job, I used to be a volunteer coach with for a great non-profit group called Girls on the Run. It was so nice to see some of the coaches at least one last time, and eat a little more of course, even though I couldn't stay too long.
Other than that, the only big thing from that weekend is for the first time it really hit me how I can no longer plan like I used to once Baby arrives. I cannot even know at this point, whether we'll make it to the Thanksgiving gatherings or not. I then found all these new worries: what about exposing a newborn less than a month old to all those bugs at family gatherings (they generally can get admitted to the hospital for blood work if they get a fever within the first six weeks)? What if we are too sleep deprived to drive, etc. I dealt with my new found mom anxieties, by turning to my Mom and Mom-in-law, my sister, and some girlfriends who had children. One of my friends I discovered is a nurse in the maternity ward of a hospital, so she had all kinds of helpful advice and input (also has a great breastfeeding book she recommended to me she just emailed me the info about). My sister and both my Moms also showed nothing but understanding and support. That really made me feel better. I can tell everyone will understand and offer flexibility. That alone calmed my worries. I am also thankful how breastfeeding (which I definitely plan to do, and not give up on easily) gives newborns so many important antibodies to keep them healthy! I think all these things are finally hitting me now the reality of having a baby is becoming more real to me.
Little One has been moving a lot more recently. I often feel a little bit of a "rocking" sensation and sometimes little bumps. I've heard women describe it like this: if you ever got a gold fish from a pet store and took it home in a little plastic bag, then felt it bump the side of the bag that is what it feels like is happening on the inside! It is a very cool feeling, and I smile when I feel it. I now notice it more and more throughout the day too.
Last night, I had just laid down for bed (late because of all my excitement on finding the maternity clothes bargains) and noticed the baby moving in one specific place. I rested my hand there, and could feel the light motions! I called Michael in, showed him where to put his hand and he could feel the baby too! At first he said it felt like a pulse (that is the rocking sensation I notice), then I think he felt one of the little bumps. He was very excited. That was his late Father's day gift! Around Mother's Day, I got to feel the first pokes.
Tomorrow we'll have the ultrasound and Little One will have his or her first photo shoot. It is 8:45pm but we still have plenty of time to go on a walk. I love these long days of right around the summer solstice! We're on the far side of our time zone, so it won't get fully dark until almost 10pm.



1 comment:
I know how you feel Lisa!! Addison was born just 3 weeks before Easter, and we had the big debate, well should we go or not? There are always worries about will anyone be sick, do we really want to be passing the baby from person to person all day? We did take Addison to some of the Easter celebrations, but not all of them.
Kelly Y.
Post a Comment