Okay, I have to go on a little rant....
If I had to pick a song that described my pregnancy right now, that John Mayer song "Bigger than my Body" would work quite well. I spoke too soon before. Yesterday a woman who recently had twin girls came into the office and of course a group of ladies gathered around her. One of them asked me when I was due, then they went off on these comments how you could barely tell I'm pregnant, I'm so small (I was sitting in my chair and they weren't that close at the time!). I'm thinking what, does it look like I just have a beer gut? Common on people, I have a belly! I'm also not having twins, I won't have a twin-carrier's belly! Then the "expert" lady announced "I know she's having a girl because you cannot even tell she's pregnant from behind." Ironically, for that same reason some Chinese women think I'm having a boy! I checked Google and the old wives tales agree more with the Chinese women...you are supposed to spread out more all over if you are having a girl if you believe the senile wives tales. In reality, gender actually has nothing to do with it. I am honestly going to laugh if I have a relatively big-sized baby, and laugh for the "expert" woman if we end up having a boy. It seems you cannot win when you are pregnant...people are going to constantly point out something about your appearance and if it isn't one thing, it will be another.
Others have started asking "when are you due" that I don't know, so I know it must be more obvious than the ladies at work are giving me credit for. I think most people honestly have no clue what a normal-sized belly even looks like on a pregnant woman month by month. Some tall women, or runners just are "lean" pregnant women and it's completely normal too.
We visited the hospital where I plan to give birth today. Decoration-wise, it was nice but still pretty hospital-like. The labor bed didn't really look that comfortable, but I hope to not have to lay in it that long. I plan to move around if that is helpful, I think I also want to try the jacuzzi tub as well. The coolest thing is, after the baby is born they will wipe him or her off and just use my body heat to keep baby warm. That is so nice! Also, the baby will never leave the room I am in if all is well. I get to watch them do everything, like weigh and bathe the baby. They also have a mirror where I can watch the birth if I chose, and they encourage dads to take all the pictures they want or to set up a tripod if they plan to video the birth. We are just doing pictures, I think. In the room, I can dim the lights and they have built in cd players. There is a "nourishment" station right down the hall where I can have someone get me a sip of water or ice chips. In the labor rooms, they have big windows where we could see the 135 year-old historic church where we got married which is cool. Even though the poor church got its steeples destroyed in a fire back in February and is still in need of repair, regardless seeing that would still give me many beautiful memories to think about.
We couldn't see rooms where they do c-sections, but told us all about them. They said if it isn't an emergency, they would explain fully what was going on. If it was, they would have that baby out in less than 15 minutes. After c-sections, dad gets to hold the baby first and gets to show mom since her arms will be all tied down with the IV and stuff. I hope I don't need a c-section, but I would if my baby or I are in any danger.
After birth, they said I would stay in that room for about two hours to recover and they would be sure I'd get plenty to drink and get food if I am hungry. After that, then I will be moved to the room (with a bed that looks a lot more comfortable) where I will stay for potentially two days. This is where I'd have family and friends come to visit me. For those who do want to visit, they told me sick people need to avoid visiting and I need to stay away from them for the first few weeks. I will pray no one one is sick, I want them to be able to visit! Everyone else just needs to wash hand before touching the baby or me. They have hand sanitizer with a silly "Henry the Hand" cartoon character I pointed out to Michael, and two sinks in every room. Those rooms also had views, mostly toward downtown.
We also saw the nursery where the baby would go if there are any problems. If that happens, the dad goes with the baby to see what is going on, then the nurses will get me ready and take me over in a wheelchair as soon as I am able to. Babies can stay in the special care nursery anywhere from 2 hours to 2 months depending on the circumstances (2 months would be for preemies). There was also a "well-baby" nursery too, but for the most part the baby will just stay in the room with me. Michael can also sleep in the room, there is a couch with a pull-out bed inside. For food, Michael can cook food and bring it to me in the hospital, go to a restaurant in the hospital, order food from local restaurants and have it delivered to the main entrance. We can also order hospital food if we want too. I can also walk around with my baby if I feel like, but they warned me not to go near the elevators or I will set off the security alarms and the elevators all will freeze. They don't mind it because they say it shows them their security system is working properly, but it tends to be embarrassing for the parent who sets it off! Everything looks good. It didn't look too busy around there. I hope it isn't too busy when I'm in there either.
Today I actually helped Michael paint the garage (don't worry, he did most of the work and I was very careful not to breathe fumes). We had to repair it after our neighborhood started an improvement campaign and we got cited to fix the door and tighten our porch rail. Since it was all outside and we had a wonderful breeze, I had no concerns (I refuse to paint interior). Painting the garage wall was the worst part, because the brick was very textured and with the brushes and it seemed to take forever. I wore a mask just to be extra careful. It was a lot more work than I expected, and it still needs another coat of paint at least on the garage door. It looks great, and I will post pictures after it is done. I ate two cheeseburgers afterward because I was so hungry!
Welcome to Our Blog!
This blog is designed to be an entertaining and easy way for our friends and family to see pictures and videos, plus keep up-to-date with all our parenting adventures. Don't worry if it's been awhile since we posted, just means we're going through a busy time and have our priorities in order!
Saturday, September 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
How exciting! Which hospital are you planning to deliver at? I had Aiden at Christ, but I have some labor and delivery nurse friends from college that work at Good Sam. I carried both of my boys the same way-- like basketballs. You couldn't tell I was pregnant from behind. I would tend to agree with your chinese friends. The other thing about gender-guessing with babies that tends to ring true (of course there are always exceptions) is the baby's heart rate. If it tends to run above 140 it's generally a girl, but if it's in the 130's or 120's it's generally a boy. Have fun guessing! I can't wait to see how he or she turns out!
Post a Comment