Welcome to Our Blog!

This blog is designed to be an entertaining and easy way for our friends and family to see pictures and videos, plus keep up-to-date with all our parenting adventures. Don't worry if it's been awhile since we posted, just means we're going through a busy time and have our priorities in order!

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

First Day as a Stay-At-Home Mom (To-Be)

No one went to work at my company yesterday, since their phone lines and power were still out. Today is my first official day as a free woman.

The past couple mornings, I forgot to turn off my old alarm, so at 6:30 am on came the radio. However, it was such a relief knowing I did not have to get up and could just return to the warm bed. I have been sleeping around 9 hours at least a night now (instead of just under 8). I also appreciate no pressure to go to bed by a certain time or lose sleep. Michael listened to the news this morning, and I heard there was a water main break in the high speed lane on the interstate I would normally be taking (I didn't even know they were crazy enough to build water mains under interstates!). I can only imagine what a mess that caused, and I was glad I didn't have to deal with this one! It won't be fixed until late tonight either.

Yesterday, I filed for unemployment, started updating my resume, contacted one local design firm about freelance work, and started reviewing our budget. I found ways we can stretch Michael's income, and if I qualify for unemployment I hope to stretch that so we dig out of savings as little as possible.

I thought it would be more weird to adjust to staying at home after working full-time for so long. However, with so many things still abnormal around us somehow it all blends together in one big mass of weirdness. I drove around briefly to still find several traffic lights out, or roads closed from downed power lines. I want to go to the grocery store and especially get milk and fresh fruit and vegetables, but some stores still aren't open and most of those that are threw out all the fresh stuff after the black out. I wanted to get more gas for our car running on "E," but one local station was completely out of gas and the other had long lines. We both also had to get used to trying to call everywhere before attempting to go. Even the weather has been abnormally cool the past two days. At least some things should get back to normal soon, as I find my new schedule (or in this case, get used to a lack of one).

Meanwhile, the baby is blissfully unaware of all this, and is still kicking around various times of day as usual. I had my strongest instance of acid reflux this morning that burned my throat a little (generally expected as the baby grows), but that is the only thing new with me. I hope to take a little walk again today now the sun is out, and will post the shower pictures soon once I get the last ones I wanted to include Michael's uncle took.

No comments: