Welcome to Our Blog!

This blog is designed to be an entertaining and easy way for our friends and family to see pictures and videos, plus keep up-to-date with all our parenting adventures. Don't worry if it's been awhile since we posted, just means we're going through a busy time and have our priorities in order!

Saturday, April 26, 2008

I think I can feel my uterus now!

In all my reading (mostly online), I discovered that by the end of 12 weeks of pregnancy, I should be able to begin feeling my uterus:

"Before 12 weeks of the pregnancy the uterus is contained within the bones of the woman's pelvis and cannot be felt through her belly. After about 12 weeks, the uterus begins to grow up and out of the pelvis and is able to be palpated by your caregiver (and you), usually by just being able to touch the very top of the uterus (or the 'fundus')."

Being curious and excited to monitor any progress I can, I wondered if this would be the case for me. At 8 weeks, my doctor let me feel the uterus a little but he could only feel it from inside and had to push it up so I could even barely feel it. I know it is supposed to feel like very firm; like a full water balloon. At the beginning of 12 weeks on Monday I couldn't feel a thing, but on Thursday night I noticed a hard, round mass really low—just barely above the bone. It definitely wasn't there before, and I believe that is the top of my uterus. Michael can feel it too! Of course my Dr. will confirm on Wednesday if I am correct. How cool!

Oh, and I've started getting hungry again in the middle of the night again. Friday I got up at 3am to pee and had to get a glass of milk before I could go back to sleep because my stomach was growing. I remember being hungry last night when Michael came in early this morning (I think around 3), but I wasn't awake enough to act. He is still on our typical more night owl schedule, while by 10pm I am totally exhausted and ready for bed often even on the weekends! I went to bed around 10:30 last night (and hence, woke up a little before 8 this morning). I still encouraged him to go over to a gathering several of our friends had yesterday, even though I was too tired to go. I believe it is important for him to do now, because there will not be as much freedom for either of us after Little One arrives for awhile! It is also win-win for me, having a quiet and dark house when I am falling asleep.

No comments: