Welcome to Our Blog!

This blog is designed to be an entertaining and easy way for our friends and family to see pictures and videos, plus keep up-to-date with all our parenting adventures. Don't worry if it's been awhile since we posted, just means we're going through a busy time and have our priorities in order!

Monday, October 6, 2008

36 Week Belly Shots and Appointment!

I really like having morning doctor's appointments now. Today's appointment was pretty typical, other than the doctor did the Group Strep B test (for Beta strep, that are naturally occurring in some people and fully harmless except if a newborn gets exposed during birth), and also started doing internal exams to check my progress. Next appointment comes up next Tuesday at 9:15am.

My weight finally rebounded after holding steady last week when I had been sick and was dehydrated. I am officially up 21 pounds. My blood pressure was still great, 114/64. They really watch to make sure the blood pressure is staying steady in late pregnancy. The doctor felt the baby, and he or she is still definitely head down, and he said the baby has a nice "house" down there. He also said my size and the size of the baby are not too big or too small, so he predicts I'm going to have an average size baby which is a good thing! I told him people keep telling me I look like I'm only 7 months along, and he said to ignore them because I am long-waisted (plus, being in good shape helps). He said everything looks excellent. The baby's heart rate was in the 140's which is considered totally average. He said my cervix is starting to soften, and was probably about 1 cm dilated which is what they expect for this point.

I did ask him about the higher heart rate last week, and he said sometimes big swings like that can be caused as the central nervous system is finishing up (he explained it in more detail than I remember now). I also asked him about the random diarrhea I sometimes get and he said that is also definitely normal. Part of it is the hormones, part is lack of space, and often he said before actually labor the body does that to cleanse itself. It can start doing this more regularly a few weeks before labor too.

Here are this week's belly shots! I forgot to mention at the shower we played several games. One was a word scramble, and they also did the game where everyone had to guess how big belly was by cutting a piece of string. Mom and Amy were slightly disappointed it was done at my other shower, however it was just as fun with a different group. No one was that close in this group. We measured my waist and it is up to 41 inches now! They also did a gender poll while I was out of the room, and I think 4 voted boy and 3 voted girl...still pretty even!

I know my belly is low and big when I am finding some underwear now roll down! Sometimes it feels like I need suspenders too to keep my pants up! I also noticed under the fluorescent light in the dressing room today I have a linea nigra running from my belly button on down. It is very light on me because I am fair-skinned, but if you look closely you can see it.
For a change of pace, here is a three-quarter view:


Even though this sounds crazy with only about 4 weeks to go, today I went back to GAP Outlet just to pick up a few more shirts. Everything, including most maternity clothes are starting to get too short for me now and I mostly wanted some long sleeve shirts for the cooler days. I picked up five, and was very shocked when I found I had to look for larges now! I think some of these will be getting short on me by the end. I also picked up one more pair of casual khakis for only $5.

I also got pre-registered at the hospital today! Woohoo!

No comments: