Wow, I cannot believe I am already entering the last month of pregnancy (the baby on the ticker on the bottom of this blog page is now on the last square)! My body surely believes it (even though everyone still tells me I look like I'm about 6-7 months along ;-), especially when I "forget" and try to run up the stairs like I always used to do (ha!). My mind, however, just discards the memo. I have hit that point were I'm in a denial of sorts that all the big changes are now literally around the corner: labor pains, the sleepless nights, the screaming, the diapers, but also the wonder and joys. I am excited to see this baby, I wonder if it will be a he or she, if he/she will resemble me more or Michael more or even someone else in the family more. I wonder if he or she will have darker hair, be a red head, or have random light hair we didn't know was a candidate in our gene pool. I wonder what kind of personality this kid will have, if we'll tell whether he or she recognizes our voices right after birth, and I wonder what kinds of plans and purposes God will have for him or her.
When people ask, "Are you ready?" it is truly trick question. All parents-to-be are like blindly confident freshmen about to start college. Yes, I'm ready! I signed up for all my classes, I have my reservation set up in the dorm, got my supplies, and know where I'm going the first day. But all of us who have been through college know you can look ready on the outside and have your checklist complete, but no one tells you once you wave goodbye to your family and step foot into your new world you never come out the same again. You will change forever. As a slightly wiser sophomore now in life, I realize I do not know everything and I will be changed forever beyond what I can imagine. I am excited about it though. Despite the fact experiences like college and getting married did change me forever, and sometimes required me to let go or leave behind, I wouldn't trade back who I am or where I am today for anything. Change is not to be feared, but is something to be celebrated. It is what life is all about: it is part of progress, growth, and the natural order of the world we all are bound to.
At least it feels like fall already! Fall wasted no time, appeared right on the calendar's cue this year. We got out the down comforter last night even, and I found my slipper socks since bare hardwood floors can be chilly in the morning. Feeling like it is fall is helping me feel like the baby is coming soon! I also need to go back to GAP Outlet and get just a few $5 long-sleeved shirts to get me through this last month and the after-birth transition. I wanted to see how big I'd get first, and am glad I did. I don't need as many clothes at least now because I am not working and can get away with wearing my old long-sleeved t-shirts from various races and high school cross country meets.
Speaking of classes, we had our Save-A-Baby class on Wednesday night, which was truly a refresher of CPR for adults, children, and infants. I am glad I took it, some things changed since I first did in high school. We also learned what to do about choking. I learned that you are never supposed to hit someone's back that is coughing (though I think some people do that) because if you do you are in danger of whatever it is moving in position to obstruct the whole airway. I think it is just the natural reflex to want to reach out an help, but it is one of those good intentioned gestures that carries too much risk. They said to encourage the person to cough and if needed tell them you know what to do if they need help.
On Wednesday morning, a woman who went to our old church (I don't think I mentioned on here yet that we switched churches last month!) took me to a monthly group for moms called MOPS (mothers of pre-schoolers, but it is really a misnomer and any moms are welcome!). It is good to start building networks with other moms now, and find support from other females. We had fun taking, hearing a speaker, decorating a picture frame and stuff like that while all the moms got a break from their kids. I actually know a lot of the moms there, and it was cool meeting other new ones. They were from all different places and had kids of all ages.
I also have been very busy with freelance work this week, and I'm realizing I'm going to have to give it up a little and not take on anything else new. My true priority now is getting ready for the baby. I am still going to get ready to freelance: update my resume, maybe buy a new computer with up-to-date software at last, etc. But the last month is so unpredictable, I don't want to start something I cannot finish. I also have a lot left to do. The room is not set up, names aren't picked out, stuff from the showers is not yet organized, and thank you cards need written! I also realized I didn't pre-register at the hospital yet (doing that today), and we need to start packing a hospital bag and get our car seat checked out. That stuff is the stuff I want to focus on now, I don't feel like I have time for both.
Michael and I have one more shower tomorrow my family is throwing, and men are invited as well but not pressured to participate (I imagine they'll be watching football or something while the women are talking about all the cute little baby stuff). After that, it is time to figure out what else we need to get and when.
As for how I'm feeling, I'm still doing well overall. My cold is still lingering a little, but really isn't too bad (just get a slightly stuffy nose every once in awhile). I'm still dealing with some dehydration but still making a point to drink a lot more water (yesterday I got so busy I forgot to and noticed the difference). The baby likes to move a lot more when I drink more water, so it definitely seems to be a positive thing. I feel more and more heavy though, and keep bumping my belly into things a lot. Sure my belly isn't huge by some people's standards, but for me it is taking a lot of getting used to. I feel like I have grown and I can feel the weight starting to press down more. Baby should be getting into "launch" position soon, and hopefully stays there until my body gives him or her the eviction notice. We'll see for sure when I take my pictures again on Monday. I might start taking them weekly just for the last month, since I am curious to see what week the baby noticeably drops and we also don't know what week the baby will come. There is also a final deadline: my doctor will let me go up to two weeks overdue if we aren't having any complications. However if I hit November 3 and nothing is happening, I'm going to be trying all the natural induction techniques my doula gave me and I have read about ;-)
Welcome to Our Blog!
This blog is designed to be an entertaining and easy way for our friends and family to see pictures and videos, plus keep up-to-date with all our parenting adventures. Don't worry if it's been awhile since we posted, just means we're going through a busy time and have our priorities in order!
Friday, October 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment