Welcome to Our Blog!

This blog is designed to be an entertaining and easy way for our friends and family to see pictures and videos, plus keep up-to-date with all our parenting adventures. Don't worry if it's been awhile since we posted, just means we're going through a busy time and have our priorities in order!

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

37 Week Belly Shots

Since we are so close to the end, I am going to take weekly belly shots until this baby comes. Normally I take these on Mondays right at the beginning of each new week for me. I figured two days late was no big deal. I got to pick up my new camera today! It isn't as fancy as the old one, but still does the job well. The only problem is, it is too new for my Mac and it doesn't even recognize it. However, I can still upload pictures to Michael's computer and I can then load them on my old camera to transfer them to my computer. I plan to get a new computer before too much longer, as I was saving up all last year. My laptop is also suffering from a broken screen and has to be propped up with books!

I was wondering today if I was having Braxton Hicks contractions. BH contractions are just a painless tightening of the uterus. However, my belly already feels so tight as it is I honestly cannot tell if it is contracting or not when I am standing up. I should have tried laying down to see if it was really tightening, but I didn't think of that at the time.

Today started out with frustration, as I was feeling really overwhelmed and not sure what to start on next. I did the best thing you can do in that situation, and just focused on one thing at a time. I started off doing my job search, as I'm required to do when I file unemployment. Yesterday I was contacted by a recruiting company. I didn't know what to make of it at first, when a guy contacted me that said they were interested in helping me find a job, and asked for my resume and work samples. Upon researching, I found it was a reputable local company.

I never worked with headhunters before, so I had no idea how it worked. I found out that companies hire to help them recruit new employees and find people that really match what they are looking for. They do not charge the job seekers, rather they get paid by the company where they place the qualified worker. My recruiter, David, called me today. He answered all my questions and I felt much better. I had applied for a job that they had been helping another company fill. My recruiter asked me more specifics of what I was looking for, including preferred location and parameter, salary range, availability, and what kinds of design jobs I am most interested in. He also said if there are companies I am interested in working for, let him know because they might have contacts at that company. If I find a job on my own, that is also fine. I realized, this actually might be a blessing, as I'd never seek it out on my own. It is very nice at this hectic time in my life to have someone else out there helping me look (honestly, even if they did charge me I'd still likely do it). This likely can help me find a job faster, and the unemployment offices also love it when you use resources like this.

I then got to business and started making meals to freeze. We now have 2 full pans of chicken enchiladas, and 3 containers (three cups each) of chicken tortilla soup. I have more I want to make, but it just feels good to have made progress finally.

Something very strange happened, I got a paycheck in the mail from my old company. At first I thought it was some kind of summary, but I realized it was an actual check for the normal amount I used to get. They used to do direct deposits for me, so I checked the account but they only had sent the paper check. Immediately, I contacted the lady at HR to ask why I received a paycheck. Surely, this is a mistake! I told her I received the check in the mail, not direct deposit and also asked what I should do with it. She got back with me, and to my greater confusion said the live check was correct, they are only issuing live checks as was mentioned in our confirmation letter. I didn't get such a letter. I checked my redundancy letter and clearly it said that the last check I received September 15 did include all my severance pay. Did they hire someone else with the same name or what? I didn't believe she didn't recognize, hey this is the girl we laid off a month ago and she's asking about a check she got in the mail! I wrote her back again and stated as directly as I could I think there has been a mistake. I am sure I'm going to have to destroy this thing and they'll put a stop on it. But if it is too much trouble, I really don't mind keeping it ;-). I guess I'll find out what is going on tomorrow. She didn't respond again today.

No comments: