Welcome to Our Blog!

This blog is designed to be an entertaining and easy way for our friends and family to see pictures and videos, plus keep up-to-date with all our parenting adventures. Don't worry if it's been awhile since we posted, just means we're going through a busy time and have our priorities in order!

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

First Contractions!

Just when it was starting to appear our Little One was going to stay put indefinitely, last night I experienced a new sensation...contractions. The contractions I am feeling still are the very early kind....not the real labor kind. They feel similar to menstrual cramps...a dull ache that often starts lower in my belly then radiates outward. I also can feel pressure in my pelvis as they occur. When I felt my first one, I actually started to laugh (but not really loud). Laughing is not a good idea though, as it just causes more tension and when you have them the goal should be to relax! I totally wasn't convinced the first one was a contraction, because I have never experienced them before. After I had another, then I realized this is a small taste of what I am in for.

I first felt contractions last night probably around 9pm or so, and I only had a few that lasted only 15-30 seconds or so and were very random. I also felt one last night when I got up to go to the bathroom and laid back down. I also noticed the bed seemed kind of damp, so part of me was at first worried, "Did my water start to leak?" I do not believe this is the case (I think I was just sweating until the cozy down comforter, but at 3 or 4am it is easy to not think clearly and get alarmed over something silly). My second thought after that question is, I need this baby to wait at least one more day so I can wash some clothes for him or her, set up the changing table, pack the hospital bag, and get the room a little more set up! Then, I went back to sleep. I woke up out of it, and with a slight headache.

The contractions are back again today....still random and on and off. I notice when they occur, my whole belly tightens up. They still are pretty mild, and as long as they just come and go and do not increase I know it is not the real deal. Before everyone gets too excited, these kinds of contractions can last hours, days, or even weeks. They mean labor is coming, but they aren't a strong indicator of when. Still, I did some serious nesting today just in case. I got a lot of laundry done and a lot set up in the baby room. If I get it done, I'll definitely post pictures!

I'll also definitely post if the contractions get stronger or more regular! I won't call my doctor unless they start increasing to the point it is harder to talk, or unless I notice my water break. More likely than not, I'm just going to hurry up and wait.

No comments: