Welcome to Our Blog!

This blog is designed to be an entertaining and easy way for our friends and family to see pictures and videos, plus keep up-to-date with all our parenting adventures. Don't worry if it's been awhile since we posted, just means we're going through a busy time and have our priorities in order!

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Getting Ready for Primetime

Statistics say that 80% of babies are born 2 weeks before or after the due date. Only 5% or less are born on their due dates. I'm guessing the other 15% are generally born premature (or full-term but early in the 37th week), since doctors rarely let women go longer than 2 weeks overdue. Starting tomorrow, we begin the 4 week wait. I am still excited, not scared quite yet.

The painter came out on Friday to give us our estimate and confirmed part of the ceiling in babies room is going to need to be actually torn out and replaced. It is going to create a big mess, so everything will need to be moved out of the room and the ceiling fan will even have to come down (it needed this anyway, as it has needed to be rebalanced). The walls might also need repainted in there, but they are going to take care of everything. He is really nice, and said he has four kids and said if we needed anything to just let him know. All I have to do now is run their estimate by our insurance company, then they will come out to do the work within the next couple days.

On Friday night, for the first time since we owned our 2006 Corolla, the service engine light came on and the car started running a bit rough. We took it to Auto Zone to get the code checked out, and I looked it up online. Apparently, a lot of Toyotas around that same year are giving the same error message and it has to do with the engine's computer/electric control system. I hope it is still covered under our warranty, or we won't be able to afford to fix that car right now. People said that it is at least an $800 repair. I called the dealership, but they want me to bring in the car so they can diagnose it themselves. It is annoying because I will have to wait there 45 minutes to an hour, and if it isn't covered by warranty this test will cost $85 (if we repair the car, that charge is put toward the service costs at least and is not separate...however we don't even know if we have a choice and might have to just lose the $85 and wait to do the repair separately). If it is covered by the warranty, it costs us nothing and I get to borrow a loaner car.

The guy cleared the code at Auto Zone, so I am going to drive it around today to see if I can get it to come back on or not. Our car has more than 36,000 miles so our general warranty is expired, but I am praying this is something covered by the power train warranty. I will probably take it in tomorrow, because if there is a serious problem I'd rather get it fixed soon as possible if it can be fixed.

This is deja vu. Right before we got married a lot of crazy stuff like this was happening. And now, as we are preparing for the birth of our child its happening again! I am not freaking out right now, because I have experienced how somehow God always shows up in the middle of the chaos, and takes care of us every time. His plans are carefully orchestrated, and always end up building our faith. No doubt it is annoying having so many distractions, set-backs, and uncertainties, but times like this can be surprisingly beneficial and strengthening. It is not clear when the baby's room will get done, when the house will be fully repaired, when Michael will get the rest of his pay, when I will get a job again, when or if our car can be repaired, or even when the baby will arrive. But, Michael and are are certain God is going to work it out: stay tuned with us to find out how.

Yesterday, I got a little upset we slept in until it was almost noon. Then I reminded myself, this could be the last Saturday we have to sleep in, just enjoy it. So, I relaxed and Michael made french toast. I also got my first pregnancy related nosebleed! Speaking of my nose, I also noticed my sense of smell has been more keen now than I noticed early on. Michael and I continued preparing for the baby's arrival. We went to Sam's Club and got bulk supplies and stocked up on more food for the freezer. We also are picking up a few other odds and ends at the grocery store so I can pack our hospital bag this week. Today I hope to finish more of my thank-you cards (hopefully get them all done), get a nursing bra, and to go on a walk and enjoy the crisp fall day and just relax a little.

One other new way I can tell I am getting close to the end is I had a couple strangers at church today comment that it looks like we are going to have an arrival very soon. I must be looking bigger, or dropping more, because before this point I have only heard how small I look and like I was only 6-7 months along. Now everyone is excited, and will be wondering with me every week whether or not I'll be showing up for church. Someone else also told me about a local job search focus group that is made up of volunteers and great for networking.

1 comment:

Melissa B. said...

I'm glad you have THE Peace that passes all understanding. Continued prayers for a safe and healthy mom and baby. You are absolutely right about taking advantage of the rest. Your house will never again be as peaceful as it is now. Once the baby comes you will probably even have a heightened sense of awareness and your sleep won't be as deep. The maternity nurse in me wants to give you a little tip about rest in the hospital... The first night will be your most peaceful. I'd say 95% of breastfed babies want to cluster feed (eat every hour and sometimes more) when they near 24 hours of life. It's his or her way of getting your mature milk to come in. So... no matter how excited and how much adrenaline you have, try to sleep that first night.