Welcome to Our Blog!

This blog is designed to be an entertaining and easy way for our friends and family to see pictures and videos, plus keep up-to-date with all our parenting adventures. Don't worry if it's been awhile since we posted, just means we're going through a busy time and have our priorities in order!

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

37 Week Appointment + Birth Plan

Today's appointment was at 9:15 am and was completely routine. Blood pressure still good (they watch that closely in the last tri) 110/60, weight up one pound (I'm up 22 total). I was happy to find out I am Strep B Negative. It isn't a big deal, but one less thing to worry about when I'm in labor. The baby was very active and had a heart rate in the 140's again, he or she was pushing back at the doppler! I noticed it has settled in that range since I started walking less which is interesting (I did finally go on a short walk again yesterday, I do miss it). Nothing exciting going on with dilation, but usually those internal exams don't tell you much anyway.

The hospital gives us all an outline for our birth "plan" (I think saying preferences make more sense because you cannot plan your labor!). I'll share the main points I requested (some I don't know if I will actually want to do, but just want the option!). Most of these, my hospital and doctor already support and encourage so it makes it easier!

• To have fluids to sip on which may include ice chips and popsicles
• To use the shower/tub as a comfort measure
• To be up and walking as much as possible (if desired)
• To listen to music that I have provided (if desired)
• To deliver in a birthing room with low lighting and a quiet atmosphere
• To have my partner present at all times and the following people to be present at birth: Donna, our doula and possibly her daughter Bridgette (who is a maternity ward nurse and who is also training to be a doula with her mom...hey, she's free)
• To not have an IV, saline lock only, if possible
• To have minimal vaginal exams
• To have the opportunity to labor as long as possible without the use of Pitocin. If my water breaks, to wait six to 12 hours before augmentation, as long as my health and the baby's health allows
• To have sleeping arrangements for partner if overnight labor and delivery stay is needed (airbed)
• To be able to film and/or photograph in the deliver room according to the labor and delivery standards
• I would like the following comfort measures: hot tub (if possible), birthing ball, shower, telemetry (portable monitoring), rocker (this is more for Michael ;-), warm compress, massage by partner
• My preference for pain control with labor is: I do not want pain medication offered to me. I will ask for pain medication when it is needed (I know when I am able to have it and my options, so I want to be able to just focus and stay open without pressure)
• During the birth of my baby, I/we have the following requests: To be offered a variety of positions for pushing (back, side, squart, if possible), to not have an episiotomy unless medically necessary, to have Michael cut the umbilical cord, if possible (and he wants to), to have immediate skin-to-skin contact with my baby (they already normally hand mom the baby), to not be separated from the baby unless medically necessary (already do this and father goes along if they need to go to special care), to observe the first bath in the birthing room at my bedside (this is standard), to have my partner with our baby at all times if I cannot be with the baby for newborn procedures
• Other requests: I strongly want to breastfeed and do not want formula offered to my baby unless there are complications or it is absolutely needed. Hope to breastfeed after delivery if possible (the hospital already encourages and promotes this, but I felt didn't hurt to state it anyway)

Doctor saw no problems with this either, as he is very conservative and doesn't do interventions unless they are necessary anyway. He did tell me for pain he prefers epidurals to IV pain medicines since most of those tend to make most women very dopey. I am open to the epidural if needed, but I want to see how I can manage this on my own first. I have a lot of confidence in my body. I will not be upset if it ends up being more than I anticipate or something does go awry. I'm still very open-minded.

In other news, last night I was going to take 37 week belly shots but the camera started acting up again and wouldn't take pictures. I decided to take it to a camera repair shop just to see if anything could be done. Unfortunately, it was pronounced with a "terminal illness" and there was nothing they can do. They suggested it was time to go camera shopping, so I did. Since I received birthday money, I did research on the best cameras for under $200. I ended up going with a Canon PowerShot A950 IS. I shopped around and found a good sale at HH Gregg, and bought one tonight for $129.97! I also got a good deal on an 8G memory card off of Ebay, that is a great brand, great rating, from a good seller for just $30. They had sold the last camera before I got there, but a new one is scheduled to arrive tomorrow and they will give me a call when it is in.

No comments: